I'm not getting my subscriptions

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
vonallentx
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm learning to play the harp and just added learning the whistle to my endeavors. I'm wanting to post a question about which keys are the most important whistles to have in one's kit. Also, I've been searching the posts for knowledge about whistle brands, makers, etc. And I wouldn't mind a good deal on a whistle for sale.

I'm not getting my subscriptions

Post by vonallentx »

I've subscribed to two forums lists. I was getting the emails when I first subscribed, but now I'm not getting them anymore. How to I rectify this issue?

Thanks.

Von
Current kit: Oak D; Freeman Blackbird D; Dixon Trad D in Nickel and Brass; McManus African Blackwood D; Kerry Pro Low F
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: I'm not getting my subscriptions

Post by Nanohedron »

We'll look into it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

A note to the moderators: I have subscribed to a few threads lately, and am receiving my email notifications just fine.

As a reminder, note that if the subscriber received a notification previously, but did not act on it at the time, and has not since visited the thread, no new notices will be sent until they do.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Very helpful, kkrell. Thanks. TBH, I don't use the subscriptions function myself, so I don't have much point of reference in the issue.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Very helpful, kkrell. Thanks. TBH, I don't use the subscriptions function myself, so I don't have much point of reference in the issue.
I'd be in the same place as you, Nano, on this. I used to use the subscription service when i first signed up, but rapidly found that I received too may emails, so I stopped.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation, Kevin.
vonallentx
Tell us something.: I'm learning to play the harp and just added learning the whistle to my endeavors. I'm wanting to post a question about which keys are the most important whistles to have in one's kit. Also, I've been searching the posts for knowledge about whistle brands, makers, etc. And I wouldn't mind a good deal on a whistle for sale.

Post by vonallentx »

I understand that if I don’t open a message from a post, I won’t get any more messages from that thread. But I should still be getting other posts from that forum. It’s not working. And I don’t know who is in charge of troubleshooting and fixing issues.

Thanks.

Von
Current kit: Oak D; Freeman Blackbird D; Dixon Trad D in Nickel and Brass; McManus African Blackwood D; Kerry Pro Low F
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

This may be a dumb question, but have you clicked the "Subscribe forum" clicky one finds at the upper left on each forum's index page, Von? C&F subscriptions don't happen automatically, so you pick and choose which forums you want notifications on.

Again, dumb question, perhaps, but we have to start somewhere.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:This may be a dumb question, but have you clicked the "Subscribe forum" clicky one finds at the upper left on each forum's index page, Von? C&F subscriptions don't happen automatically, so you pick and choose which forums you want notifications on.

Again, dumb question, perhaps, but we have to start somewhere.
AH, this brings up a possibly relevant new point. *I* have been using the "Subscribe Topic" button at the upper left of individual threads (discussions) that I wish to be notified about. Often ones in which I have posted, or my own for sale threads, for instance (if not in the UIE).

If the OP has been using the "Subscribe Forum" button instead, well....

1) It may work much as I had indicated, in that if the OP does not re-visit the *Forum* once notified, they may not receive any more notifications.

OR

2) "Subscribe Forum" does not work, or is meaningless in the operation of the C&F forum.

OR

4) [There is no 3] The OP is confusing the two buttons ("Forum" & "Topic") and has not necessarily properly utilized or properly responded (visited) each appropriately.

[ADDED:] Tell you what - I've just Subscribed to the Forum Support Forum, so perhaps next time someone posts here, I will see how it functions. Possibly not, since I usually "View new posts" and then "Board Index" then "Mark forums read", but I'll try to restrain myself.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:[ADDED:] Tell you what - I've just Subscribed to the Forum Support Forum, so perhaps next time someone posts here, I will see how it functions.
Consider it done. :)
kkrell wrote:[There is no 3]
You have just blown my mind.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

First result quoted below. Focus seems to be on a "topic" in the forum, so if another "topic" is started or posted to, I'd probably get a new notification. We'll see.
Hello kkrell,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the forum
"Forum Support" at "Chiff and Fipple Forums". This forum has received a new
reply to the topic "I'm not getting my subscriptions" by Nanohedron since
your last visit. You can use the following link to view the last unread
reply, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=106832&p=1204168&e=1204168

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=106832

If you want to view the forum, click the following link:
viewforum.php?f=5

If you no longer wish to watch this forum you can either click the
"Unsubscribe forum" link found in the forum above, or by clicking the
following link:

viewforum.php?uid=1333&f=5&unwatch=forum

--
Cheers,

The Chiff and Fipple Folks
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

vonallentx

Post by vonallentx »

My experience has been that if I don’t click on one of the topic emails, the topic emails will stop. But if I don’t click on any emails from a series of topic posts, then eventually the forum subscription stops. This seems like a programming error. If I want the forum subscription to stop, I can unsubscribe. My hope would be that the programmers can fix this so that I still get emails for new topics in my subscribed forums. I don’t mind that the emails stop from a topic I’m not interested in. That seems intentional and correct. But I still want emails for NEW topics in the forums I’ve subscribed. I don’t know who the programmers are. So I don’t know who to ask if this is doable, in the works, etc. Is anyone who has responded to this topic a programmer for this site? Is there a programmer? Are programmer identities kept secret? I don’t want to breach protocol. But I think this fix would benefit everyone.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

vonallentx wrote:Is anyone who has responded to this topic a programmer for this site? Is there a programmer? Are programmer identities kept secret? I don’t want to breach protocol. But I think this fix would benefit everyone.
Unfortunately, the C&F board uses readily-available, public software. The program is supplied by these folks https://www.phpbb.com/ and is open source and free. It's installed in a particular configuration on this site (C&F), and has required member assistance when offered to support & migrate it to new hosts. I don't think the actual phpbb programmers are available to bail us out.

The correspondence here has been with the C&F Forums volunteer Moderators, who I don't think have the knowledge or time to do other than operate it, and have some moderator-level tools to administer it, such as to lock threads, throw members off, and use their communication skills to try to keep the forums helpful and humming along at a lower stress level than some other venues.

I myself am not even a moderator, just a long-time member. However, I am a former programmer of business and database software, also with experience supporting animation & video systems for games, engineering & aerospace visualization, movies, & special effects. So I know how to screw 'em up, and how others have done so.

I kinda wish C&F could use the vBulletin board software that is used by the Acoustic Guitar Forum at https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php (where I am also a member). It's a similar commercial (not free) product, but has a bit more modern feel to it. While not horribly expensive, it may be beyond the means of the funding of the C&F board and may or may not be compatible with its host servers. Regardless, someone would have to purchase & migrate to it, and offset any continuing costs.
vonallentx

Post by vonallentx »

Thanks. That’s really helpful information. I’ll figure out a workaround. I’m thinking that when I stop clicking links in the emails, my forum subscriptions stop eventually. But they seem to start up again after I login to the site. Once I figure out how long it takes for me to drop off, I can figure out how to stay on.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:The correspondence here has been with the C&F Forums volunteer Moderators, who I don't think have the knowledge or time to do other than operate it, and have some moderator-level tools to administer it...
That's pretty much it in a nutshell, from the admin end.

Thanks a bunch for all your help, kkrell. :)