downloading a long thread

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
cac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

downloading a long thread

Post by cac »

Sometimes I like to download a discussion to be able to read and thing about it offline. Is there a way to do this (as one file, printed to pdf) with a discussion that had 188 contributions in 13 parts? Chet
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: downloading a long thread

Post by kkrell »

cac wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:54 am Sometimes I like to download a discussion to be able to read and thing about it offline. Is there a way to do this (as one file, printed to pdf) with a discussion that had 188 contributions in 13 parts? Chet
It's possible on some versions of the PHPBB forum software, but requires a mod or extension that a forum administrator would add. They could then authorize users to Print All Messages in a thread (which you can redirect to a .PDF file).

Since that's not likely to happen, you seem stuck with printing each page of a thread, one after the other. I suppose that would be 13 forum pages for your example discussion. Again, you can send to .PDF, and there are of course Merge .PDF utilities that quickly reassemble all together.

There is a utility icon (wrench), to the right of the red "Post Reply" near the top of the thread. From there you can at least select a "Print view" (Printer friendly version of the page that is less cluttered and a bit less wasteful of space).
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

Thanks, Kevin, and thanks for pointing out the 'wrench' tool. Chet
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

cac wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:24 am Thanks, Kevin, and thanks for pointing out the 'wrench' tool. Chet
You're welcome. I use a PC with Mozilla Firefox & the extension "Print Friendly". This allows me to use C&F's "Print view" function, then click a "Print Friendly" icon on my status bar to convert to PDF right there. The extension also allows you to edit the content (edit/delete text, highlight, change font size or style, add images), as well as delete completely irrelevant sections (such as any page headers, icons, images, website $%^# etc.) that you don't want in the finished .PDF
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org