Just Intonation Tuners Don't Match

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
jack london
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like pipes and other things involving music, like music and pipes. Reeds are an enigma. Though I can make violins, I can not make a reed.

Re: Just Intonation Tuners Don't Match

Post by jack london »

I am sorry to ask such a basic question, but could someone please define root and tonic?
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

The root of a chord is the note or pitch that is dominate. Usually it's thought of as the lowest note of a chord, like C in the C-E-G triad...ascending up in scale. But, C could also be the root if E and G were lower.

Tonic is more related to scales. Even though C is like a root in the C scale, it rather is called the tonic because each note above it comes as a reference to the tonic C. 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths and so forth, even the minor 7th of the tonic C. All the notes in a scale can work down from the tonic too, not just up.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

very grateful for any help with tunning to Just Intonation; was hoping to use the clear tune app standard just intonation setting 430hertz key of C (don't need any more keys) do I understand correctly that I can not rely on this app to give me the correct setting. I am not good with numbers so was hoping to rely on a tunner? Any suggestions
Much appreciated

Tom
With C pipes, wherever they happen to be (flat or sharp of standard pitch), just make sure all notes coming from the tone holes of your chanter are pure to the drone...which will give you Just Intonation. If you adjust your tuner accordingly, it will compensate and give you the correct readings. Each note should be Just to the tonic C. Each note produced from all the different tone holes are not suppose to be pure/just to each other, only to C. Luckily, you can't play two or three notes on your chanter at the same time, so you'll never have to worry about them sounding good together, only to the drones. The regulators are a different story! :wink:

EDIT NOTE: the right fingering for a particular chanter design, and from a particular maker, is important. You can't fine tune a reed or tone hole w/o knowing the intention of these first.