recommendations for metronome tuner

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
tucson_whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

recommendations for metronome tuner

Post by tucson_whistler »

hi, so i was told by music teacher today i need to buy a metronome :) i also would like a tuner (so i can figure out how bad my c nat is off :)

anyway, anyone have any recommendations? the first hit on amazon is the Korg TM-40 Large Display Digital Tuner and Metronome for about $27. ???

thanks...
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Whistler Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: recommendations for metronome tuner

Post by Whistler Bard »

A metronome is always good in any kind of music you play, as for me I never tried it with the whistle, but it might be a good choice.

As for the model, there are lots of them, ranging from 20€ to 200€, I guess that if you have the possibility to check some live in a store, you should do it. There are large display, small display, digital display, analog display, and so on and so on. Just get one that suits your personal needs!

People around here are probably gonna tell you about them, listem to them too!

Cheers!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Do you need something portable, Eric? There are some very good software tuners and metronomes to be had. For example:

http://www.pinkandaint.com/weirdmet.shtml
http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html

Korg stuff is generally good, and the TM-40 looks good. Disclaimer: I used to work for them. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
walrii

Post by walrii »

MTGuru wrote:There are some very good software tuners and metronomes to be had. For example:

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html
The tuner listed above is a good one (I use it all the time) but be advised the current version doesn't play well with Windows Vista. The tuner portion itself works OK but many of the added features that ran fine under XP simply don't run under Vista. I haven't tried it with Windows 7.

I also have a Sabine MT9000 portable tuner/metronome/tone generator. Its about the size of a deck of cards and runs forever on a set of batteries. The metronome allows you to select a variety of rhythms and the tone generator is a nice feature that gives you the ability to play along with a drone. I bought mine several years ago so you'll have to check the current price but its probably comparable to the Korg.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

tucson_whistler wrote:anyway, anyone have any recommendations? the first hit on amazon is the Korg TM-40 Large Display Digital Tuner and Metronome for about $27. ???
Korgs are pretty decent. They also have a
cheaper model which does not have the mic
input the TM-40 has. (But it does have the
earphone out, which can be handy if you
find you can't hear the metronome over
your playing.)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002E2O2Q/ref ... B0002E2O2Q
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Where can you find a metronome tuner? :-? I didn't know metronomes needed tuning...... :boggle: Would a piano tuner know where to start, or might it upset his temperament to be asked?

( :D )
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I've got the Sabine mentioned above. It's served me prefectly fine for several years, with one caveat:
Lately in our sessions, once we've gotten all tuned up a ready to go, everything I play sounds sharp. So I've taken to tuning from an already in-tune fiddle with better results. I think my Sabine is not reading accurate pitch anymore, even set at A=440. May be time for an upgrade.
Denny

Post by Denny »

jemtheflute wrote:I didn't know metronomes needed tuning......
You sir, have absolutely no restraint. :really:

Do try fer a couple of harder ones soon. :P
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Cron-Z

Post by Cron-Z »

MTGuru wrote:Disclaimer: I used to work for them. :-)
Damn, "used"... :D
ChaplainBlake
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

There's an app for that! Another reason to consider an iPhone or iPod touch. I carry a recorder, metronome (with tap function, which is really nice for following other musicians' tempi), a nice tuner, a "3/4" set and "4/4" set, and all in one convenient package. Oh, and I carry all my ITM recordings on the same device. I am not a fanboy, but my iPhone is super handy when it comes to my music. You can get refurbs pretty cheap, too. Just a thought.

--Blake
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

The korg tuners are pretty ubiquitous in the GHB band world. They work, they're cheap, and they're durable.

I usually use a Sabine zip-beat metronome, which has a loud "tock" kind of sound. I wish it had a volume control. My wife uses little Seiko metronomes that will clip onto a music stand, and have a built in clock. They're pretty nice. I generally don't practice in the room with the computer, so having stand alone devices is nice.

When I need a new tuner I'll probably get the TM-40. My CA-30 has fallen too many times and the Green LED is burnt out, which makes it a lot harder to use in the dark.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

hi everybody, thanks for all the great advice! :)

Mr. Blake, what app called that you use on your iphone? i'll probably still get a stand-alone version, but the option would be nice...
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
dsmootz

Post by dsmootz »

I use a free iPhone app just called "Metronome", and a $4 tuner called "Cleartune"
ChaplainBlake
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

I use "Tempo" (metronome w/ reference tones) by Frozen Ape ($.99), and Cleartune ($3.99). Those work really well for me. Michael Eskin's 3quarter and 4quarter set work well for relative tuning (at least to piping pitches--Bb,B,C,C#, and D).

--Blake
Cron-Z

Post by Cron-Z »

Thanks to this thread, I just got my local music store to order me a Korg TM-40 :D !