Re.corder as a stepping stone to whistle for a learner?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Dog Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re.corder as a stepping stone to whistle for a learner?

Post by Dog Whistler »

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience using the re.corder? I realise this is a whistle forum (!) but my goal, as a lapsed learner needing a quiet way to practice, is simply to develop somehow, using something, so that on those rare occasions I can make some noise, I can make best use of the opportunity.

https://www.recorderinstruments.com/en/

The re.corder appears to be relatively new, the product of a recently completed kickstarter, and to look at, the ergonomics seem to be an improvement over a great many other wind controllers... as does the price! Circa £130, which compares very favourably to the WARBL, especially with the government currently trashing the pound's exchange rate!

Advice sought, and very welcome.

Cheers

Edit: I should add that it appears to be possible to configure the re.corder for whistle fingering, according the manufacturer's FAQ.
The ‘acoustic’ fingering is Baroque, allowing for forked positions and correct pitch on many notes and variations.
The holes of the recorder have embedded invisible capacitive sensors and the C, D and thumb holes are doubled to allow sharp notes and octave switch.
With the app configuration page you can change between different fingering and scales and even setup your own, also allowing for microtuning fingerings. This will allow other instruments fingering styles like tin whistle, bagpipes, and your own!
There's a video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZA0L9eUGoA
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Re.corder as a stepping stone to whistle for a learner?

Post by fatmac »

There are several quiet whistles, & you can reduce the sound by inserting a piece of card into the mouthpiece too, or cover half of the aperture, both work quite well; & a lot cheaper. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Dog Whistler

Post by Dog Whistler »

Thanks, but I've tried that. Not quiet enough! Modern houses have thin walls, and late shift workers are vicious when riled. I basically need a sound proof box or something that can take headphones.
ripleywm
Tell us something.: 50 something piper interested in whistles. I live in NE Georgia in the USA. I started in Florida about 30 years ago, but I have had several long hiatuses. I've been playing seriously for about 3 years now.

Post by ripleywm »

Looks pretty cool. I have a TechnoChanter that I use for practicing pipes tunes. It's a solid concept IMO.