WIDesiner - How to input data profiles of whistles

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
catnip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WIDesiner - How to input data profiles of whistles

Post by catnip »

I downloaded and installed WIDesigner 2.5 and viewed some introductory tutorial videos. What I would like to do is input data from my "preferred" whistles to create a whistle profile of each of them. Susato profile, Oak profile, Generation Profile, Sweet profile, etc; and then see if they can be optimized or changed in subtle ways. This program is highly specialized and uses technical terms that are not obvious to average user. A diagram with the terms identified would help tremendously. It is difficult to figure things out from a verbal description. Also most of the tutorial videos focus on Native American flutes rather than the whistle.

As a diversion from violin making my interest is specifically in making tuneable wooden whistles. This software will predict and optimize hole locations etc... I specifically would like to enter data for a wooden whistle, such as OD body tube, ID body tube bore, fipple data etc. Also I am not sure what the differences in the various tuning files are. I just want an D scale that is more or less in tune.

Also on a side note if all goes well I would like to be able to use the program to profile a Serbian Frula. The professional frulas have hole sizes (diameters) that are mostly similar so I assume that they can play more chromatic notes rather then just a major scale. Also the windway is on the under side so the fipple construction is a lot simpler. Here is a video of a traditional frula maker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-vWau2u7Ug

Any help in inputting data would be appreciated.
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: WIDesiner - How to input data profiles of whistles

Post by Tunborough »

The easiest way to create instrument definitions for typical brass-body/molded-head whistles like Generations, etc., is to start with the definition in the file FeadogMk1.xml in the instrument samples that come with WIDesigner, in WIDesigner-2.5\WhistleStudy\instruments\FeadogMk1.xml. Modify this definition with measurements from your chosen whistle, and save it with a new file name. Wooden and synthetic whistles will require more substantial changes, but you can still start from the same place.

I took a shot at explaining the terms in the Glossary. I agree that a diagram would be very helpful, but my drafting skills aren't up to creating that drawing without some painstaking work. Regarding the tube diameter, the I.D. appears as the "bore diameter" in the list of bore points. The O.D. does not appear explicitly except as the "termination flange diameter". However, the height measurements for the holes will be half the difference between the O.D. and the I.D. If the I.D. is 12.0 mm, and the O.D. is 12.7 mm, the hole height will be 0.35 mm, the thickness of the brass tube.

The sample tunings, in WIDesigner-2.5\WhistleStudy\tunings, include files for high D (D5) and mezzo A (A4) in Just Intonation and Equal Temperament, and low D (D4) and mezzo Bb (Bb4) in J.I. For just about any high D whistle, D5-Equal.xml is a good place to start.
catnip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: WIDesiner - How to input data profiles of whistles

Post by catnip »

Thanks Tunborough for the suggestions. I am new to this forum and saw that there really was no makers sub-forum. It looks like the Trad Tech forum is the closest. My interest in WIDesigner is from a maker's point of view to eliminate the trial an error approach. I really spend most of my on-line time on Maestronet.com in the Pegbox (violin makers forum). This forum is a great resource but this server doesn't store pictures with the comments. It just uses a reference link to a remote picture hosting source which is a may or may not exist in the future.