Anyone familiar with digital pianos?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
TrevorO'Malley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a big fan of the flute, first of all, and I like to indulge in folk music as often as I can. I'd like to connect with others who have the same interests here.

Anyone familiar with digital pianos?

Post by TrevorO'Malley »

I want to buy my son a digital piano, found one that seems ok for kids https://popular.reviews/beginner-digita ... kJam_RJ561. Any of you ever had any experience with it or with any other model and could give me some feedback? Any help would be appreciated, TIA!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Anyone familiar with digital pianos?

Post by fatmac »

I used to have a Yamaha, with weighted keys, wasn't all that expensive to buy, nice instrument, I bought it around about 2012 for around £240; my great nephew has it now. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
jambrand
Tell us something.: I'm mainly a sax player, though considering Martin "educciman" Niethammer's fipple-head flutes as a doubling instrument is what originally brought me here. I've poked around elsewhere on the forum and see discussions regarding recorders and accordion, which I also have some interest in, though don't (yet) play. I usually lean more toward lurking than loquaciousness, but perhaps when I'm feeling festive I'll post a recipe for hummus :)

Post by jambrand »

I imagine this message might be too late to be of use to you, though here's what I found recently when looking into this myself: while not the only pianos discussed, one that https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/wiki/faq ... a_keyboard seems to be in agreement with https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... beginners/ on as a good inexpensive-ish option is the Casio Privia PX-S1000 (or the older PX-160 which it's replacing). Casio's compatible 3-pedal board is often sold separately, in which case the model number to look up is SP34 (or SP33 for the older PX-160, though that also requires their CS67 stand in particular I think). I don't know where you're located, but if you can't find them locally then I've found Reverb to often have some more-than-fair (and also some less-than-fair) prices on these.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

We got our daughter a casio px-s1000. The key action is very convincing, and it's amazingly small and light for a hammer-action digital keyboard. It can be run on AA batteries, so she has been able to take it outside to play music with friends. She's 5 feet tall and weighs under 100 pounds, but she could manage it herself.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... iano-black

I've been impressed with how it sounds--it has two piano voicing and then an electric piano and some organ voicings as well, and I think a "strings" voicing, but its really all about the piano
nonpqlolzx
Tell us something.: Hi! I'm interested in music, and in playing musical instruments too. that's why i'm here) now i'm trying myself playin' flute, and i found a topic on your forum that fits me.

Post by nonpqlolzx »

I have Yamaha P45 with weighted keys. A nice option for the money, keys feel like a real piano. Can't say more, because have a very poor experience.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Well I have a casio ap450, its the size and weight of an upright piano so it stays where it is. But I'm getting one of those Rock Jam keyboards (its not a piano) so I can practice upstairs.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

If you have the money get a Yamaha Clavinova. They start at about $2500. We've had a few music major type pianists play ours and they both thought it was good. It responds like a piano. If you gently depress a bass key and then strike a treble key, the bass will resonate.