Fiddle tunes for viola or mandola - free collection, iPad ap

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
rpalmer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm trying to contact Niall Kenny, in reference to "Trip to Pakistan". I realize this is probably not a normal use for this forum, but I'm having difficulty finding contact information for Niall Kenny.

Fiddle tunes for viola or mandola - free collection, iPad ap

Post by rpalmer »

Greetings - I posted a topic about a year ago, I think, about a collection of about 470 fiddle tunes that I transcribed and transposed into alto clef (and usually down an octave) to be played on viola or mandola. Thanks to the generous donation of time and expertise by Ralph Canapa and Transported Productions, the collection is now available, still for free, as an iPad app. The collection is searchable by title, key, and meter. You can also group tunes (for sets) and/or add your own tunes. You can see the preview at <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fiddle-tu ... 50141?ls=1>. I'm afraid it's only for iPad - no android, so I can't download or use it myself. I hope you enjoy it! Ralph
rpalmer
Tell us something.: I'm trying to contact Niall Kenny, in reference to "Trip to Pakistan". I realize this is probably not a normal use for this forum, but I'm having difficulty finding contact information for Niall Kenny.

Re: Fiddle tunes for viola or mandola - free collection, iPa

Post by rpalmer »

The preview of the iPad app can be viewed from any browser, whether you're on Mac, IBM, or Linux. However, you can only download it to an iPad. It's totally free, and, as far as I know, has no advertising - I can't tell yet, because I'm an android user, and I don't have an iPad.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I’m either confused and reading this wrong, or doing something wrong, because I don’t see any free tunes in this. I do see where it links to several tunebooks I can buy and import into your app, but that’s it. I downloaded it expecting it to have 470 viola tunes already included in it. Is that not that case, or am I looking in the wrong spot?
Heady
Tell us something.: Hello.
I am really a viola/mandolin player, but I have a concert flute and played quite well in high school (class of '92, lol, so nothing recent). It no longer speaks to me - I listen to a lot of Scandinavian and Irish folk music for the fiddling and occasional mandolin-ing. I feel a calling to Irish flute and whistles, but know nothing and am trying to get some information on (garbag-y) instruments to give a whirl. If a (garbagy) instrument turns out fun, I might spend a year or so saving up for a better (still beginner) instrument.

Thank you.

Post by Heady »

Ralph - I found your collection posted in a format I could put on my PC by sleuthing around elsewhere - thanks :)

Thomaston, if you're on Facebook, you can get a link to Ralph's google drive by searching for it in the American Viola Society group (if you're a viola player I guess, I forgot where I was for a minute, you might be a mandola player who doesn't want to join the AVS group on FB).

It's a HUGE collection and a lot of fun.
rpalmer

Post by rpalmer »

Thomaston - As I said, I don't have an iPad, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I did notice that it made a difference if I copied and pasted the link with or without the < and > at the ends. If I pasted the link without the < and >, it went directly to the preview. Also, the app has my introduction before the tunes. Any luck yet?
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I’m not a viola or mandola player really, although I do have a tenor ukulele tuned in 5ths to CGDA, and am considering buying a cello banjo, or possibly upgrading my bouzouki to a 10-string with a C on the low course, so any of that makes it applicable. I’m going to look for the Facebook group. If it’s a Google Drive doc I should be able to just copy it over to my iPad.

Ralph, I didn’t read closely enough the first time to realize this isn’t an app you made yourself. I’m going to take another look at it, but I was expecting it to be something like Tunepal with all the tunes in there, and it may be, but all I could find when I first looked was links to other tunebooks I could purchase and view through the app. Yours may just be in a spot I overlooked. It sounds like an amazing collection.
rpalmer

Post by rpalmer »

I published the collection about a year ago, as two sets of PDFs - large format and small format. Same introductory material and tunes for both, but the large format generally has about two or three tunes per page, while the small format has more like four to six. The small format takes a lot less paper, but is more crowded. You can find both versions in my Google Drive folder at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1euNCa ... O1h31_bBaQ
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I just copied it to my own Google Drive. Now I need to teach myself alto clef!
Thanks!