Slow down app for cloud files?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
JackJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Slow down app for cloud files?

Post by JackJ »

I really want to work more on learning tunes by ear. Most of the tunes I've got are on personal cloud storage space, both iCloud and Google Drive, which allows me to access them from my phone without taxing the limited storage I've got on the device.

So I'm wondering if one of the slow down apps can access sound files on my cloud space. I'd like to be able to slow them down and also loop specific sections of the tune that I want to work on. I'm on iOS, but have a cheap Amazon fire tablet I could maybe put to use if there's a great app for this specific to Android.

I've done some searches and seen recommendations for Audacity, Transcribe, Amazing Slow Downer, and others. But not sure what sort of source files/locations they work with, and hoping not to have to evaluate each, especially since not all are free. (I'm happy to pay for one that fits my needs, though.)

Any tips?
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Slow down app for cloud files?

Post by PB+J »

Very simple way

Download them

Make them movies by adding an image or two--use imovie, or garageband

Upload them to YouTube

Make access private

Use YouTube's slowdown
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

PB+J wrote:Very simple way

Download them

Make them movies by adding an image or two--use imovie, or garageband

Upload them to YouTube

Make access private

Use YouTube's slowdown
Yeah, that would work. I've certainly made use of YouTube's slowdown feature for stuff I've found there. But still hoping for something a little simpler.

A few more details: I'm an instructional and tune book hoarder, so I've got a lot stuff from CDs and publisher's digital downloads. I've got a closet-sized music practice space with no room for much besides a music stand and just a few books. So playing the audio content off my phone is the convenient way to go, and keeping it all on the cloud has been really convenient. It's also nice when I'm out of town, since I don't often travel with a device that has a lot of built-in storage. But now that I'm working on learning new tunes by ear rather than just the dots, I've got to slow a lot of it down to figure it out.

If there's not an app that can access my files where they're at, then I'll give the YouTube download/upload option a shot.

Thanks!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Very clunky way!

If you're going to download them, better to have the power/quality and options of a local app.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Very clunky way!

If you're going to download them, better to have the power/quality and options of a local app.
It's not THAT hard. I do it a lot for stuff I need to show in class. But I'm partly thinking if you want the files available all the time, slowed down all the time, without having to take up all the space on your phone with downloaded sound files.