Demo of the WARBL wind controller Uilleann configuration

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Demo of the WARBL wind controller Uilleann configuration

Post by eskin »

Demo of the soon to be released open-source WARBL wind controller setup in it's full Uilleann configuration with bottom D sensor installed and bag, using my latest firmware and fingering patterns. Octave switching is done with bag pressure. Sound module is my "Celtic Sounds" iOS sound module iOS app with the sound of a flat set of Uilleann pipes in B. Tune is the air "Táimse Im' Chodladh".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp03QFmcSPE

More information on the WARBL at:

https://warbl.xyz

More information on the "Celtic Sounds" iOS app at:

http://appcordions.com

I am not the developer or seller of the WARBL, I'm just working on optimizing the open-source firmware for whistle and Uilleann pipes players. I believe it will be in the $200-$250 range when released.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Demo of the WARBL wind controller Uilleann configuration

Post by kkrell »

Doesn't your right elbow twitch, trying to operate a bellows?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
eskin

Post by eskin »

Yes, it does!
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Thank you!
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

How would you say this compares to vpipes?
eskin

Post by eskin »

It's different. VPipes are a completely self-contained instrument and cost something between $1000 and $2000. They are amazing for sure.

The WARBL is a USB MIDI Wind Controller, produces no sound at all, and can be either mouth blown like a whistle or connected to a bag to play like Scottish or Uilleann bagpipes. Currently it supports four different fingering style (whistle/flute, Uilleann pipes, GHB, Northumbrian), but has room in the firmware for many more.

It's purpose is to generate a MIDI data stream with note and pitchbend information, along with whatever messages one adds programming the dedicated buttons. It has 7 optical sensors on the top, one on the back, and one that can be plugged into the bottom for bottom-D sensing when used as an Uilleann pipes chanter. In addition, it can sense changes in the air pressure (used for octave switching), plus there are three hardware buttons on the back that can be programmed for various features.

The WARBL, when released, will cost around $200.

The sound completely depends on what you plug it into. In my case, I'm using it with my iOS "Celtic Sounds" app that has whistle, flute, Uilleann pipes, concertina, and accordion sounds. It will work with any hardware or software MIDI synth.

Another huge difference is that this is a completely open source project. The circuit schematic, the Arduino-based firmware running inside the device, and the web-based configuration tool are all available for modifications from the developer for free. I've done some substantial changes to the original firmware to optimize it's use as a whistle and Uilleann pipes style controller.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Yesterday I was at home and really wanted some practice time, but there’s my wife trying to get work done and my daughter and a couple friends over working on the middle school band repertoire. I could have plugged this thing in, strapped on some headphones, fired up the Celtic Sounds library and practiced to my hearts content.

Will buy this the moment it’s available
Ballygo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ballygo »

Looks great.
When the app is downloaded how does the WARBL connect to it. When will it be available.

Well done and thanks

Ballygo
eskin

Post by eskin »

For iOS devices you need the USB camera connection adapter. That converts the Lightning port on the iPhone/iPad to a standard USB connector. The WARBL plugins into USB.