New “WARBL” MIDI Wind Controller

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: New “WARBL” MIDI Wind Controller

Post by eskin »

"The Gravel Walks" using the WARBL at the Fourpenny House session in La Mesa, CA., on 18 Nov 2018.

Sound source is the tin whistle patch in my "Celtic Sounds" app for iOS running on my iPad.

I've developed some custom firmware for the WARBL to optimize it's response played as a tin whistle.

https://youtu.be/cezpVcPoKDs
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

A most interesting product. I play an EWI, but this would be much more portable.

The documentation seems to indicate two mouthpiece options. One with a single opening for constant pressure control. The other with an air escape hole would allow for a more natural method of playing.

Am I interpreting this correctly?
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
eskin

Post by eskin »

Yes, there are actually three options:

1) Closed tube

2) Closed tube with small vent hole - This is the one I use because it feels like a whistle

3) Bag attachment for use with a bellows or mouth blown bag
Tor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Tor »

This is very interesting.
But that cable looks very inconvenient. I would prefer batteries and a wireless connection.
eskin

Post by eskin »

It’s an open source project, Andrew has made the schematic and firmware all available for modification so if you are motivated enough to make it wireless, go for it..

I don’t find the cable to be an issue at all.

Batteries would make it heavier plus you’d have to deal with changing them out, pairing issues, etc.

It would be interesting to try it with a USB wireless setup, if such a thing exists, essentially replacing the cable with a transmitter/receiver pair.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

eskin wrote:It would be interesting to try it with a USB wireless setup, if such a thing exists, essentially replacing the cable with a transmitter/receiver pair.
Given that just such a thing is used for wireless USB keyboards & mice, I suppose components are available. The receivers are those little USB dongles already available to stick in a port. You'd still have the issues of battery power and possible increased latency due to transmission.

Also bluetooth versions of the dongles, like: https://www.dx.com/p/Ugreen-Mini-Blueto ... -916489777

Speaking of which, how fast is RFID reading? Could one use active RFID as a sensor & transmit to a reader?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Andrew Mowry
Tell us something.: I've had a lifelong interest in trad music and have read the forum but never posted. I've been working on a MIDI whistle/bagpipe device that has been discussed here. Thanks!

Post by Andrew Mowry »

Hi all,

Sorry for arriving late here-- I'm the developer of WARBL. I've been working on it off and on in may spare time for about three years, going through lots of iterations, starting with a large tube with capacitive sensors and arriving at its current form with optical sensors in the past year. I build stringed instruments as my main job but have really enjoyed playing with this. My main goal was for something to practice silently with, and it sounds like there's interest here for that same reason.

Thanks to Michael for helping to get the word out and testing for me. We've come a long way in the few days that he's had the device! His apps are perfect companions for it.

I don't have a firm release date or price, but I'm hoping some time in the spring, with an introductory price in the $200 range. Feel free to contact me at info(at)warbl.xyz with questions, or if you post them here they may benefit others as well.

I don't know too much about the options for wireless mentioned above, but searching for "usb wireless midi adaptor" brings up some possible interfaces. I'm sure many of you have more experience with those sorts of things than I have. I opted for no battery for the sake of simplicity, lower cost, and lower weight, but I'd agree there are always tradeoffs. It doesn't draw much power, so it's easy to power with a portable device.

Adding more breath control options has been on my list, so hopefully I'll get that enabled at some point. I think you could get some nice (and even more realistic) sounds if you modulate pitch and volume a little bit with pressure (in addition to the octave control).

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in. I'm delighted to hear that there's some interest in this (so I'm not crazy after all?), and please feel free to contact me with other questions.