Electronic whistle?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Electronic whistle?

Post by brewerpaul »

There's a simple,free way to play very quietly using your own whistle.
Put the mouthpiece between your lips, then move it down slightly so you're blocking the opening of the windway with your lower lip.
Now just play it. The airflow over the window will produce notes which are extremely quiet. You can't really overblow to play the second octave but just play as if you could. You'll find that your ear hears the correct second octave notes even though they're really the same as the first octave and the tune will sound fine.
My wife is still asleep and I just played a few tunes about 15 feet away from her,no problem.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
AaronFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

brewerpaul wrote:There's a simple,free way to play very quietly using your own whistle.
Put the mouthpiece between your lips, then move it down slightly so you're blocking the opening of the windway with your lower lip.
I like the idea, but I’m having a hard time imagining what you are describing. :-?
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

Joanie Madden uses this technique on one of her “Song of the Irish whistle” CDs (can’t remember which) if you want to hear it.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

brewerpaul wrote:There's a simple,free way to play very quietly using your own whistle.
AaronFW wrote:I like the idea, but I’m having a hard time imagining what you are describing. :-?
You'd just be blowing over the top of the mouthpiece, rather than through it.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Steve Bliven wrote: You'd just be blowing over the top of the mouthpiece, rather than through it.
Oh! Okay! Thanks for the explanation. :)
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Blowing along & over the embouchure hole of my cheapie low D flute does the same, (that's how I know that I could play a low D whistle). :)

(Holding it like a whistle, I can reach all the holes quite easily.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

AaronFW wrote:
I like the idea, but I’m having a hard time imagining what you are describing. :-?

I'm still not getting it, but I'm a slow learner
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

PB+J wrote:[I'm still not getting it, but I'm a slow learner
Grip the whistle as you normally would but instead of putting the end in your mouth, rest it on your lower lip and blow across the top of the mouthpiece. You will hear a rushing of air that will change as you open/close finger holes.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

AHA! Now I get it.

I've ordered an Arduino board and some light sensors. I'l see if I can make anything happen