Imported a Warbl into the UK

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Tiposx
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning the Tinwhistle. Also learning itm. A hundred words though? Gosh - I play English concertina, Irish button accordion, piano accordion and mandolin also. I haven't written one hundred words about anything in over thirty years. I am a member of Melodeon.net and Concertina forum and the accordion one. I hope that this chiff and fipple forum is ad good as those other forums, especially after all this hard work. I have have got employment easier than this before!

Imported a Warbl into the UK

Post by Tiposx »

Hello
I thought I would let other would - be Warbl whistlers know what was involved, and what it cost me to buy a new Warbl midi whistle, shipped to the north east of England. This is for information only, and no criticisms are intended or implied. I have imported from and exported things to the US before, so I had a fair idea of what to expect.
I ordered my Warbl on 11th January via the maker's website and paid using PayPal. Including USPS shipping it cost £221.48. I understood that there could be up to a two week lead time to despatch.
I was able to track progress of the parcel throughout it's long journey from Oregon.
It was picked up by the carrier on 13th January and arrived at Heathrow airport on 18th January. From there it went through Customs Clearance and then up to a delivery depot on 24th January. I received a letter from Parcel force UK on Saturday 26th January with an invoice for £63.80 for customs duty, import vat and clearance fee. I paid this online and the parcel arrived on Tuesday 29th January. The parcel and its contents were in excellent condition.
So - a long winded way of saying it took 18 days and cost me £285 to get my hands on the Warbl. I hope this helps someone else out there.
Regards
Tiposx
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Imported a Warbl into the UK

Post by PB+J »

Tiposx wrote:Hello
I thought I would let other would - be Warbl whistlers know what was involved, and what it cost me to buy a new Warbl midi whistle, shipped to the north east of England. This is for information only, and no criticisms are intended or implied. I have imported from and exported things to the US before, so I had a fair idea of what to expect.
I ordered my Warbl on 11th January via the maker's website and paid using PayPal. Including USPS shipping it cost £221.48. I understood that there could be up to a two week lead time to despatch.
I was able to track progress of the parcel throughout it's long journey from Oregon.
It was picked up by the carrier on 13th January and arrived at Heathrow airport on 18th January. From there it went through Customs Clearance and then up to a delivery depot on 24th January. I received a letter from Parcel force UK on Saturday 26th January with an invoice for £63.80 for customs duty, import vat and clearance fee. I paid this online and the parcel arrived on Tuesday 29th January. The parcel and its contents were in excellent condition.
So - a long winded way of saying it took 18 days and cost me £285 to get my hands on the Warbl. I hope this helps someone else out there.
Regards
Tiposx
It's a great tool, I think you will enjoy it.
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

That sounds really excellent. What Irish flute MIDI software is there for this instrument? Any recommendations? Pardon my ignorance, I am a complete novice to EWI's.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Andro wrote:That sounds really excellent. What Irish flute MIDI software is there for this instrument? Any recommendations? Pardon my ignorance, I am a complete novice to EWI's.

The "Celtic Sounds" software for IOS is really good. It was made by Michael Eskin, a guy who plays whistle in an Irish music context and really understands what the whistle should do. He posts here fairly often. I tend not to use WARBL with the phone, because you can't use headphones while the WARBL is using the lightning port. But it's the best I've tried in terms of behaving like a whistle.

Since I'm in the Apple universe I use the whistle built into Logic, which is only fair in terms of whistle like-playability. I have Native instruments Kontakt, which has a slightly better whistle as part of its default library. To be honest I often use some of the flute samples, like the bansuri sample in Logic. A lot of what i do with Warbl is learn tunes while the family sleeps.

There are several more expensive whistle sample packages, with demos that sound great, but they are usually playing new-agey kind of stuff rather than the more traditonal ITM. I've come close to buying the Efimov library a couple times
Tiposx
Tell us something.: Learning the Tinwhistle. Also learning itm. A hundred words though? Gosh - I play English concertina, Irish button accordion, piano accordion and mandolin also. I haven't written one hundred words about anything in over thirty years. I am a member of Melodeon.net and Concertina forum and the accordion one. I hope that this chiff and fipple forum is ad good as those other forums, especially after all this hard work. I have have got employment easier than this before!

Post by Tiposx »

I use a 2019 Ipad 10.2 with Celtic Sounds app. This works very well.
My Android devices are too dated to work with the app.
WayneC
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. I play Dixon high D, tenor G and low D whistles, and anglo concertina. I also play guitar, bass, a bit of tenor sax and trumpet and hand drums.

Post by WayneC »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

I've bought a WARBL this week, ordered from the website in the US and delivered to the UK. Much to my surprise, it was cleared through customs without being held and with no import charges or tax. All I had to pay was the advertised price and delivery cost. I'm still not sure how or why this has happened. It took just seven days from the order being placed to delivery to my home in Manchester and arrived in perfect condition. I'm pleased with the speed and process of delivery.

And the WARBL itself? I'm still getting used to it, but it does what it's supposed to do and offers versality as a practice instrument and possibly for performance as well. I'm still working out how to get the best out of it on Android systems, it has more compatibility with Apple products.
skarp
Tell us something.: i play the whistle badly. Just wanted to tell people about the customs charges on buying a warbl for UK peeps

Post by skarp »

[Thread revived again - Mod]

Update for folks thinking of buying one July 2022

Ordered mine yesterday 28 July 2022

WARBL USB MIDI Wind Controller$250.00 USD
Collapsible water bottle for bagpipe bag $10.00 USD
Bell sensor for uilleann pipes $25.00 USD
WARBL Mouthpiece 15.00 USD
Postage and packaging $28.00 USD

Total was $328.00 USD so a bit more expensive than previous orders, that's £284.30 GBP at current exchange

Has already been dispatched - it's got as far as Cincinnati and DHL have asked for and been paid an additional GBP £59.74 for taxes (which is a little less than others have paid). Since this is DHL rather than UK customs asking for money that may well change. I may even get lucky and pay none.

Delivery is scheduled for 5 August 2022. I suspect around here that may be later.

Can't wait. I'm a little anxious how well it will work with my Android phone but looking forward to silent practice. I've not really picked up the whistle in the past 10 years or so.
Dog Whistler

Post by Dog Whistler »

Hello Skarp,

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on your WARBL (assuming you received it!).

With the financial carnage of the last few days, I'm currently wondering if I dithered too long, and have now lost my chance at getting one at a reasonable price.