Caidé mar atá sibh?

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
j.hohl.kennedy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Caidé mar atá sibh?

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

Haighea a chairde,

Cha raibh a fhios agam go bhfuil an fóram anseo, tá sé deas é a fheiceáil. Mise Seanachán Ó Cinnéide agus is as Massachusetts mé ach tá mé i mo chónaí i nGaillimh anois. Tháinig mo bhean agus mise go Tír Chonaill i rith an tsamhraidh fá choinne Gaeilge a fhoghlaim. Anois, tá muid ag déanamh MA i Nua-Ghaeilge ag Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh. Píobaire atá ionam agus is fidléir í mo bhean agus téann muid amach fá choinne ceoil corruair.

Tá gaoth mhór ann anocht!

Ádh mór,
Seanachán
Gaillimh
Seonachan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Caidé mar atá sibh?

Post by Seonachan »

Hallo agus fàilte a Sheanacháin - 'se Seonachan eile a th'annam agus 'si Gàidhlig eile a th'agam. Cò as a tha thu ann am Mass? Thogadh mi ann an Haverhill ach tha mi a' fuireach ann an Hampton a Tuath an drasda.

Gach soirbeachadh leat aig an oilthigh agus cùm sàbhailte anns an stoirm!
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
j.hohl.kennedy

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

Tá a fhios agam cá háit a bhfuil Haverhill ach cha raibh mé ansin le fada, b'fhéidir ó 1995. Cá háit a bhfuil tú féin?

Ádh mór,
Seanachán
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

Tha mi nis ann an Northampton.
j.hohl.kennedy

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

Northampton? Go breá. Bhí mé i mo chónaí ansin cúpla bliain ó shin. Tá teach againn i Montague anois ach tá aithne mhaith agam ar Northampton. Bhí mo bhean ag obair ansin ar feadh blianta.

Ádh mór,
Seanachán

Seonachan wrote:Tha mi nis ann an Northampton.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

So may I intrude and ask (in English :) ) how much difficulty there has been in this happenstance conversation idir Gaeilge agus Gàidhlig? It would seem as if none at all, at least on a basic level. Not meaning to derail, but this is very interesting to me. And I imagine that mutual comprehension would be easier in the written word than with the spoken. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

j.hohl.kennedy wrote:Northampton? Go breá. Bhí mé i mo chónaí ansin cúpla bliain ó shin. Tá teach againn i Montague anois ach tá aithne mhaith agam ar Northampton. Bhí mo bhean ag obair ansin ar feadh blianta.
Bha mi 'fuireach an Sunderland fad 3 bliadhna, agus 's iomadh thuras a chaidh mi gu Montague - 's toigh leam "Muilleann nan Leabhraichean". Am bi sibh 'tighinn air ais?
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

Nanohedron wrote:So may I intrude and ask (in English :) ) how much difficulty there has been in this happenstance conversation idir Gaeilge agus Gàidhlig? It would seem as if none at all, at least on a basic level. Not meaning to derail, but this is very interesting to me. And I imagine that mutual comprehension would be easier in the written word than with the spoken. :)
You are right that it's easier to linguistically cross the Giant's Causeway via the written word (assuming one is literate of course), and also to note that we've been sticking to beginners level. I also know just enough basic Irish to get me past (most of) the difficulties and false friends. The few occasions when I've spoken with Irish speakers, it's had to stay at the basic conversational level, but I couldn't generalize about others. I've seen very fluid and fairly complex conversations go off without a hitch - but then I've seen speakers of different dialects of Scottish Gaelic struggle to understand each other. I suspect past experience and personal comfort/confidence in speaking go a long way in determining how successful these things go.

The most unusual Gaelic conversation I had with an Irish speaker was at a Native American language revitalization conference in Connecticut. He was an American learner (like myself), and was switching between Irish (with me) and Passamaquoddy (with his mentor). I also got to speak a bit of Yiddish at that conference, but that's a story for another day.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
j.hohl.kennedy

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

Haighea,

Go breá! Bhí mo bhean agus mise inár gcónaí i Sunderland cúpla bliain ó shin -- ar an bhóthar 47. Nach bhfuil an Muileann an Leabhair go hiontach ar fad? Tá ár dteach chóir a bheith 20 bomaite siúlóid faoin tuaithe. Beidh muid ar ais i mí Lúnasa nuair a bheas muid críochnaithe leis an chéim anseo i nGaillimh.

Ádh mór,
Seanachán

Seonachan wrote:
j.hohl.kennedy wrote:Northampton? Go breá. Bhí mé i mo chónaí ansin cúpla bliain ó shin. Tá teach againn i Montague anois ach tá aithne mhaith agam ar Northampton. Bhí mo bhean ag obair ansin ar feadh blianta.
Bha mi 'fuireach an Sunderland fad 3 bliadhna, agus 's iomadh thuras a chaidh mi gu Montague - 's toigh leam "Muilleann nan Leabhraichean". Am bi sibh 'tighinn air ais?
j.hohl.kennedy

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

Nanohedron wrote:So may I intrude and ask (in English :) ) how much difficulty there has been in this happenstance conversation idir Gaeilge agus Gàidhlig? It would seem as if none at all, at least on a basic level. Not meaning to derail, but this is very interesting to me. And I imagine that mutual comprehension would be easier in the written word than with the spoken. :)
What he said. :) Also, due to the fact that my dialect is Ulster Irish (in particular Donegal), there are many connections in between the two countries. Some folks may say that there are more similarities between Scottish Gaelic and Ulster Irish Gaelic than between Ulster and Munster Irish.

Regards from rainy Galway,
Jonathan