Rudall & Rose #3527 Large-hole Olwell Tuned flute

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
tstermitz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rudall & Rose #3527 Large-hole Olwell Tuned flute

Post by tstermitz »

I'm finally putting my Rudall & Rose #3527 up for sale for $4,800.

This is a Large-holed 8-key flute from about 1838 that was renovated and tuned by Patrick Olwell. By "large-holed", I mean hole #4 is 9.10mm, and hole #5 is 10.5mm. In other words, it is Rudall large, not Nicholson or Pratten-large.
  • The ferrules are wide with some beading inscribed on each.
    This flute has a pewter Eb key which is lightly sprung with very fast action.
The flute plays easily from low C/C# to high G in the third register with excellent intonation. The C/C# notes require good breath and embouchure control (as always!). There is no or minimal "flat-foot" syndrome. Middle C/C# are in very good intonation with each other, and several C-nat fingerings work well, including my preferred one: OXO XXX.

The tone quality is strong, warm and lush, in comparison to my medium-holed Rudall which has a sharper attack, and bright, piercing tone. Intonation is better on this, the larger-holed flute. My embouchure is not "reedy", so I can't comment on that quality. I assume you can push the flute much more than I usually do.
Repairs have been done to this flute, including a repaired crack through the embouchure which has recently been examined and re-stabilized by Jon Cornia.

See photos at my SmugMug site where I compare four flutes with different hole sizes. #3527 is the reddish-brown one with large holes. (The black one with large holes is a "large-holed" Gallagher Rudall flute which has hole #4 at 8.9mm, and hole #5 at 11.0mm. Sometimes they make hole #5 rather larger to improve intonation on F#, but there is no F# weakness on this flute.)

The repaired head crack is readily visible, but that is NOT the dark, brown streak.

https://www.photokinesis.info/Rudall-Rose-3527/