FS Boxwood christopher Gerock 6 keyed flute- beautiful

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

FS Boxwood christopher Gerock 6 keyed flute- beautiful

Post by sponge »

Hi all,

I have for sale a beautiful Boxwood Gerock flute, six silver keys, no cracks, no splits, no damage, which is quite amazing when you think that this flute has been around since 1826 or earlier.
the stamp on the tuning barrel reads
C GEROCK
76 BISHOPSGATE
WITHIN
LONDON

The ( WITHIN LONDON ) had me baffled for a while, as I thought it read... it was made within London, which it was, it actually means within Bishopsgate, as back then your address was either within, or without bishopsgate, and Christopher Gerock had his shop within, I think there was a little more kudos, anyway I have not seen many Gerock instruments with the words ( within ) on the stamp, so maybe he stopped using or he added it later.

His shop/workshop at that address was opened in circa 1805 and then moved in 1831, so this flute is dated I would guess between those dates, there is a lot of information on Mr Gerock, and the quality of his workmanship, which can be seen in this flute, all sections have his name and the boxwood is solid as are all the tenons and ivory bands, the embouchure is also bushed with ivory, this I believe is a later add on, but very well done, it's hard to believe that this flute is nearly 200 or more years old, as it feels and looks amazing.

it's as straight as any flute, no warpage, keys all function, open and close. Now all though it's quite a small holed flute, it has a very nice sound, and a great low D, and is ready to play, I have not had it up against a tuner, but will do some
tuning test very soon, I am not a great player, hence the sale.

I have now run it up against my guitar tuner ( clip on type ) set at A=440, and all the notes are there some a little sharp or flat, but not enough for a tune to sound odd, all keys are sounding well as well, down to the C#, I have not had any luck with the low C though, although it is sealing well,this could be me though, and my playing...... Owen Doyle on the facebook flute selling page mentioned the Ivory embouchure bushing and said this is probably an add on as well and is what gives the flute more power, he also has a Gerock in blackwood

The previous owner used this flute for many years, and obviously looked after it, along with all its previous owners from early 1800.

please PM if you would like to buy it, I think the Ivory kills any overseas sales, unless you know otherwise, and if you're UK based, you are welcome to come have a blow. The the Ivory is not an issue with your location, I am happy to post worldwide,
but please check your end.

comes in a fully lined fitted case - PM OR E-MAIL ME - BASED IN West Sussex, Littlehampton

all pics are the actual flute for sale - Looking to get £1000 or near that amount, as it's such a nice flute, and six keys, I think that is a very fair price, Mcneela music sold one last year with one key and extensive repairs for 950 Euros

sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Re: FS or Trade Boxwood christopher Gerock 6 keyed flute- beautiful

Post by sponge »

sponge wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:00 pm Hi all,

UPDATE,
I would consider a trade for Abell, Sindt whistles, or message me if you have something that you'd like to trade whistle wise.

I have for sale a beautiful Boxwood Gerock flute, six silver keys, no cracks, no splits, no damage, which is quite amazing when you think that this flute has been around since 1826 or earlier.
the stamp on the tuning barrel reads
C GEROCK
76 BISHOPSGATE
WITHIN
LONDON

The ( WITHIN LONDON ) had me baffled for a while, as I thought it read... it was made within London, which it was, it actually means within Bishopsgate, as back then your address was either within, or without bishopsgate, and Christopher Gerock had his shop within, I think there was a little more kudos, anyway I have not seen many Gerock instruments with the words ( within ) on the stamp, so maybe he stopped using or he added it later.

His shop/workshop at that address was opened in circa 1805 and then moved in 1831, so this flute is dated I would guess between those dates, there is a lot of information on Mr Gerock, and the quality of his workmanship, which can be seen in this flute, all sections have his name and the boxwood is solid as are all the tenons and ivory bands, the embouchure is also bushed with ivory, this I believe is a later add on, but very well done, it's hard to believe that this flute is nearly 200 or more years old, as it feels and looks amazing.

it's as straight as any flute, no warpage, keys all function, open and close. Now all though it's quite a small holed flute, it has a very nice sound, and a great low D, and is ready to play, I have not had it up against a tuner, but will do some
tuning test very soon, I am not a great player, hence the sale.

I have now run it up against my guitar tuner ( clip on type ) set at A=440, and all the notes are there some a little sharp or flat, but not enough for a tune to sound odd, all keys are sounding well as well, down to the C#, I have not had any luck with the low C though, although it is sealing well,this could be me though, and my playing...... Owen Doyle on the facebook flute selling page mentioned the Ivory embouchure bushing and said this is probably an add on as well and is what gives the flute more power, he also has a Gerock in blackwood

The previous owner used this flute for many years, and obviously looked after it, along with all its previous owners from early 1800.

please PM if you would like to buy it, I think the Ivory kills any overseas sales, unless you know otherwise, and if you're UK based, you are welcome to come have a blow. The the Ivory is not an issue with your location, I am happy to post worldwide,
but please check your end.

comes in a fully lined fitted case - PM OR E-MAIL ME - BASED IN West Sussex, Littlehampton

all pics are the actual flute for sale - Looking to get £1000 or near that amount, as it's such a nice flute, and six keys, I think that is a very fair price, Mcneela music sold one last year with one key and extensive repairs for 950 Euros