FS: Lachenal Concertina 30 Button C/G, Perfect for Irish Music

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
Steve Pribyl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

FS: Lachenal Concertina 30 Button C/G, Perfect for Irish Music

Post by Steve Pribyl »

From Concertina.net:

This concertina was purchased by Ken Shaw from Chris Timson, webmaster of concertina.info (?), in 2006. It had been renovated a couple of years prior by Chris Algar, who sold it to Chris Timson. Ken Shaw met Greg Jowaisas around 2012 at a festival in Texas and showed him the Lachenal. Greg told Ken it was the best model Lachenal made and agreed that he could make a better bellows. He replaced the bellows and straps with gorgeous dark green leather, did work on the pads, valves, and springs and tightened up the action and added bushings around the buttons. He also added the gold leaf decoration on the sides.

In Ken’s words, “When it came back, the new bellows had improved everything! The buttons worked better and the tone had improved due to the tighter air plumbing. Noel Hill told me it was the best Lachenal he had seen!”

No serial number is visible, but Ken told me it’s about 100 yrs old. It has a very sweet, warm, woodsy sound. There is some damage (and repair that can be seen from the inside) to the rosewood fretwork, but it seems solid. The bellows still needs to be “played in” (per my conversation with Greg Jowaisas), as Ken has not played it much in the last couple of years. There is a tiny screw missing in the middle of one face.

I have only owned it for a couple of months, as I lucked into a Jeffries, which I have been playing almost exclusively.

Price: $2700 + shipping, insurance, etc. I am in Pasadena, CA."

Photos here:

https://www.concertina.net/forums/index ... ent-199112