DEPOSIT RECEIVED. FLUTE ON HOLD - Olwell Restored WYLDE

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
Julia Delaney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

DEPOSIT RECEIVED. FLUTE ON HOLD - Olwell Restored WYLDE

Post by Julia Delaney »

DEPOSIT RECEIVED. THANKS FOR THE INTEREST. THE FLUTE IS ON HOLD.

\I am selling a lovely Wylde 8-key “D” flute. The flute has elegant silver key-work and a sterling-silver crown and end cap. It has silver-lined keyways, which is an unusual and very desirable feature. Such detail is only found on the very top-tier of simple-system keyed flutes from this period. In the present case it is an elegant preventive solution to the potential for cracked or chipped key blocks.

The flute has an ivory head-cork adjuster, as pictured. Olwell initialed the top rim of the head joint, under the end cap, which he does when he completes substantial repairs or restoration. 

I stamped this with a year for when repairs were done. The O and O means [Patrick] Olwell and [Aaron] Olwell. Makes it look nice, and functional. In this case there was some tuning to be done, and a silver cap put on.. This Wylde is a valuable 170 year old antique, made for La Crème of 19th Century players.

Henry Wylde flourished in London between 1832 - 1850.  In addition to working with Rudall and Rose, Wylde continued to make flutes for them - to be stamped Rudall Rose - after he started working on his own.  This flute has all the looks and playability of a fine vintage Rudall Rose flute from the 1830s – the golden period. It is slim and elegant, with holes that are on the small side. There is plenty of volume and the flute holds its own against louder instruments. It plays nicely at A=440 with the slide pulled out about 13mm (1/2”). The elegant keys all work well.

The barrel is a new cocus sleeve over the original tube, stained with nitric acid to match, so there are no cracks in the tuning barrel. This accounts for the lack of the "Wylde" stamp on the barrel. “Wylde” appears on the center joints and on the foot joint.  The blocks and keys are undamaged, unrepaired, and look perfect. The silver-lined keyways add strength and stability to the key blocks. Overall it is in remarkable condition for a flute of this age.

The pads are new and seal well.  The bottom D is in good tune. The flute plays well up into the third octave with plenty of honk in the first octave. There have been repairs done over the years but the flute has been stable for the ten years that Olwell has owned it.. Still, antique flute protocol should be observed if the flute lives in a hot, dry environment: keep it at 50% humidity or above).

An eight-key flute like this from a modern maker would cost nearly twice as much, have a long wait time, and be made from wood that is not nearly the quality of this aged cocus. It will come in a very protective, foam lined case with plenty of room for whistles, cork grease, etc. The case is in excellent condition.

The Wylde is offered at $2,650. I will ship anywhere in the US at my expense. I will ship overseas at buyer’s expense. The flute is offered with a money-back guarantee, less the cost of shipping and any bank fees.

Image Image Image Image Image
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale