FS: Cocus flutes

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
flutefry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

FS: Cocus flutes

Post by flutefry »

I am playing my pipes more, and my flutes less, and have to fund a new flat set, so I am selling three great flutes in cocus. Am willing to ship from the US, and I am going to Europe mid April to mid-May, and would ship from there (or you could meet me in Berlin, Prague, or Vienna). Flutes currently in Vancouver , Canada. Photos available on request.

SOLD: 1) 8 key flute by Stephan Morvan. It has the wide bore and large holes of a Pratten, with the tonal complexity of a Rudall and Rose. Beautiful and effective keys, wide rings in sterling silver, made from red-brown cocus of beautiful grain. Comes with a custom Northwind case. $4500 US plus shipping, or best offer.

2) Large-holed Rudall and Rose 2883 in beautiful fine-grained, matched cocus, with 8 sterling keys. All 3 foot keys are pewter plugs. Top joint marked No 15, Piazza, Covent Garden, London, and all other joints marked “Rudall and Rose, London”. This flute was described by Jon C in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88481) as one of the magic RR flutes, and I agree. This is an exceptional flute for its free-blowing ease of playing, responsiveness and the quality of workmanship. With the right embouchure, plays well in tune. The keys are well set up and have a light and even touch. It’s not a collector’s flute: it has a twice repaired crack through the embouchure, the first an old pinning attempt, and a recent repair by Jon Cornia who removed the liner, reamed the joint, and reassembled, so the crack is now stable. It plays even better after the repair. It also has a repaired crack in the barrel, and a repaired key block. Shipped in a Pelican hard case, and with its original case.

$4400 US plus shipping OBO.

3) 8 key Edward Baack in cocus and German silver. It’s an American flute from 1840-1860, small bore and holes, a very light and slender flute., in beautiful brown cocus. It has period tuning, but it is easier to play in tune than earlier flutes. Workmanship is middling, but it’s easy to get a reedy tone that carries well and cuts through in a session. All keys work individually, but the C# doesn’t fully depress when the C key is depressed, and I never figured out how to fix it. Comes in a gun case. $900 US OBO.
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
flutefry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Re: FS: Cocus flutes

Post by flutefry »

Morvan is sold.
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.