Dale's raising $ for charity: OVERTON LOW D!

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dale's raising $ for charity: OVERTON LOW D!

Post by Dale »

I want to invite you support a favorite charity of mine. For 20 years or so, I've served on the Board of Directors of the Crisis Center and this is the 20th year that we'll give away a Mazda Miata to someone who enters our "Friends" campaign. I want to ask you to consider donating and I want to provide a little extra incentive for you to do so. First, look the brochure.

The basic idea on this campaign, which sells out every year, is that $65 goes to a great charity: Suicide prevention, care of women who have been sexually assaulted, support of children, teenagers, and adults in crisis, and a program that takes care of several dozen people with chronic psychiatric illnesses during the day. Only 1000 "tickets" are sold. One of those 1000 will win the car, another the big TV, another the laptop.

And, among only those who enter via Chiff & Fipple, I'll draw for an additional prize, an instrument from the C&F Secure Holding Facility here in Birmingham.

Now, why am I being vague about the prize? There are several instruments I've considered putting up as a prize, but I want to work with the winner to make them happy and meet their needs/wants. But, my guarantee is that the instrument will be by one of these makers, or one of similar quality that the winner prefers: Overton, Copeland, Burke, Sindt...you know, those guys. I promise to make you happy. (SEE UPDATE BELOW!)

In the meantime, check the deadline, June 29th, and remember that this campaign ALWAYS sells out, and usually several days before the deadline.

If you want to enter, I recommend you call Mike Falligant (just ask for "Mike" at (205)323-7785. Tell him I sent you and you're a Chiff & Fipple person. He'll take your credit card number on the phone and get you all registered.

Then, and this is important, make sure you email me (dalewisely at gmail.com) or PM me and let me know you entered so I can include your name in the special drawing I'll do for the Chiff & Fipple prize.

Thanks for considering.
-----------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Brigitte and Colin Goldie have offered to donate a prize: A tunable Overton Low D or a tunable Overton Alto F. This is very generous, but I have to add a condition to this. I'm not willing to allow the Goldies to donate this valuable instrument unless there's a level of participation by C&F that's appropriate. (I'm not trying to do any guilt-inducing here. I realize that $65 is a lot of money, it's a local charity, and fully understand a choice not to participate.)

But, if only a ticket or two or three are sold through C&F, the prize will be worth more than the money raised. So, I've set a minimum of 12 entries to put the Overton in play. If we do not reach that level, the original offer holds--I'll work with the winner to give them a whistle from my personal collection. If we do reach 12 C&F entries, the Overton will be available to the winner. Right now, by the way, we're at 7 entries.
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Dale's raising $ for charity: OVERTON LOW D!

Post by Dale »

As of today, 135 tickets are still available at the Crisis Center.
Cork
antispam: No

Post by Cork »

Lemme see if I've got the math right.

Now, it takes twelve C&F entries for somebody at C&F to win a whistle, or something like that. At this time there already are seven C&F entries. There currently are only 135 Crisis Center tickets available. And so, it's still possible for a C&F member to get a ticket and to stand a chance at winning a whistle.

BTW, I've already signed up, but I hereby refuse a whistle, and so your chances could now be only one in eleven.

Yes, one in eleven could win a whistle.

C'mon, go for it!
caedmon
antispam: No

Post by caedmon »

What lucky soul ended up winning the car?

EDIT

Or, I could just go to the web site. :)

Strange, I didn't see my name listed. :lol:
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Hi everybody.

I'm out of town and just have a minute. The car was won by Eddie Miller of Birmingham. The nice thing about it is that he has been a volunteer at the center and even a board member many years ago and so that was a nice outcome.

When I get back into town, we'll have our little C&F drawing. Only 10 tickets sold, so pretty good odds for those who are in.

Dale
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Haven't forgotten. Thanks for your patience. I'm just recompiling my list of entries, to make sure I've got everybody.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm made the drawing (actually, my secretary Janice did the honors) and I again want to thank everyone who contributed to this. We sold 8 tickets, when all was said and done.

As it turns out, I can't find an email or a PM from the winning entry, but I have a mailing address and will make contact that way if needed.

In the interim, if you are Stephen B. from Virginia, drop me a line.

If you're not Stephen, you didn't win. Sorry about that. If it's any consolation, Stephen bought 2 tickets and so the whole probability thing....

Thanks again for your participation.