Some clarity about the No Medical Posts thing

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Ew...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
talasiga
antispam: No

Re: Some clarity about the No Medical Posts thing

Post by talasiga »

Dale wrote: .......Ok: Q: My wrist sometimes hurts when I'm playing my flute. A: Try taking more rest breaks and hold the flute differently.

Not Ok: Q; I have clinical depression and I'm not sure if my Prozac helps. A: Stop taking antidepressants and exercise and pray more.

Not OK
: Q: My child has ADHD. A: ADHD is a made-up disorder. (Or:) My niece takes Alertease (TM) and is doing much better.

Probably OK: Q: My legs hurt and my eyelids itch and I have a lot of gas. A: Dude. Go see your doctor.
What about:

Q: My wrist sometimes hurts when I'm playing my flute.
A: Not OK.

?Hmm?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Some clarity about the No Medical Posts thing

Post by Dale »

talasiga wrote:
Dale wrote: .......Ok: Q: My wrist sometimes hurts when I'm playing my flute. A: Try taking more rest breaks and hold the flute differently.

Not Ok: Q; I have clinical depression and I'm not sure if my Prozac helps. A: Stop taking antidepressants and exercise and pray more.

Not OK
: Q: My child has ADHD. A: ADHD is a made-up disorder. (Or:) My niece takes Alertease (TM) and is doing much better.

Probably OK: Q: My legs hurt and my eyelids itch and I have a lot of gas. A: Dude. Go see your doctor.
What about:

Q: My wrist sometimes hurts when I'm playing my flute.
A: Not OK.

?Hmm?
Do you have a question?
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

pastorkeith wrote:Depends upon the capacity of the bag attached to the catheter and the size of the water glass at the pulpit.
You do the math :)

pastorkeith
just make sure you don't get them confused....
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
Tikva

Post by Tikva »

Uh-oh...

If that means strongly disadvising some nickel allergic person from actually acquiring a nickel whistle by providing correct facts to go with it, then I am definately guilty. :sniffle:

Should I watch out for a lynching mob armed with whistles and travers flutes?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tikva wrote:If that means strongly disadvising some nickel allergic person from actually acquiring a nickel whistle by providing correct facts to go with it, then I am definately guilty. :sniffle:
These areas do get pretty grey sometimes, but in the cases directly related to instruments and the playing of them, there's leeway, especially if discussion and advice are sensible. Example:

Q. My hand hurts when playing my bass G flute.

A1. Have you tried changing your grip?

A2. You may have to give up playing such a large flute.

A3. Be sure to massage and stretch your hands.

We ask that people refrain from diagnosing or prescribing. Still, in the case of, say, contact allergies (something I know a bit about myself firsthand), if there's a large enough base of encounter with this sort of thing, tentative diagnoses are rather unavoidable; but there's a difference between "sounds like you may have this", and "you have this". But the best recourse is to recommend A) see a physician, or B) stop doing whatever's causing you trouble, or C) both.

Sometime back I mentioned my newly developed blackwood allergy, growing a soul patch out of necessity, and later getting a sterling silver lip inset on my blackwood flute to forestall further inflammation (I was unwilling to go with any other less allergenic wood, but I was able to get rid of that gawdawful soul patch :) ), and when you look at it, that's just a case of practical measures that can be recommended in good faith. Now if I said that I self-medicated with a handful of over-the-counter anti-inflammatories every day and I thought I was cured and everyone should do it, that would be irresponsible.

Providing facts is in itself neutral, and, arguably, helpful. It should just be left at that. If that leads to suggesting the above B, no problem. That's within parameters. I'd say the same thing, to be honest.

This sort of thing just takes a bit of common sense, is all.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tikva

Post by Tikva »

Nanohedron wrote:We ask that people refrain from diagnosing or prescribing.
Phew, I'm lucky then! The person who asked the question admitted to being diagnosed as a nickel allergic by a real-life-got-to-make-an-appointment doctor.

My first rule is: no telediadnosis. - No matter how much they are begging for one. :wink: