Forum May Become Unavailable: Please Read

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Forum May Become Unavailable: Please Read

Post by Dale »

Friends,

Beginning January 19th, Dreamhost, the service which hosts this forum, will be upgrading all forums to the latest version of PHP, the software on which this forum runs. In addition, there we anticipate some other changes ahead on the technical side at Dreamhost.

There is a good chance this will take the board offline for some period of time. Could be extended. That's not SUPPOSED to happen, but:

For years now, we've been aware of a problem with the database associated with the forum. (As forums go, it's a very large database and an old one. This board has been running here for 15 years.) None of your moderators have the expertise to track this problem down and fix it. It has been responsible for some of the glitches over recent years when the forums are slow-loading or don't work at all. For reasons that remain unclear to me, Dreamhost does not offer the kind of tech support we need for this.

We have looked, at various times, to moving the forum to a service that specializes in PHP boards and manage the technical side. I own the forum and pay for the hosting service. That cost to me is offset by the Google ad banners. Moving to a specialized hosting service would cost more than I am able to pay.

The upgrade could go fine. If not--and the board goes offline--I will reconfigure things so that forums.chiffandfipple.com will automatically direct visitors to a website I'll have prepared to provide updates about attempts to get things running again.

Thanks. Hope to see you on the other side of this!

Best regards,

Dale
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Forum May Become Unavailable: Please Read

Post by kkrell »

The forum that seems to be most akin to this one, and running a more updated setup is http://acousticguitarforum.com. .Jeremy, their head guy, might have some tips. Hmmm, I wonder if any relation to the Jeremy responsible for thesession.org ?