Known scammer - and scammers in general

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Known scammer - and scammers in general

Post by benhall.1 »

One of our members has had a scammy response to a WTB post in the Used Instrument Exchange (UIE). It came via email, rather than PM, from the following email:

dalecaseydupree@gmail.com

This email address has been reported by numerous other music sites as sending inappropriate or scammy emails. It has also been reported on Stop Forum Spam and other such anti-spam sites.

This Announcement is a specific heads up to members about the above email address, as well as being a more general warning to be wary of scammers. One of the ways they can do this is simply to read a post on the site and email the member who has made the post. There is nothing we can do to prevent this, as it is outside the bounds of the site. If you, as an individual member, feel vulnerable to such things, you may consider changing your email preferences so as not to show your email address publicly on the site. In any case, please be particularly wary of emails in particular from people you don't know, who may well not be members here.
angelablueskies
Tell us something.: I'm a lifelong flutist, and have played classical/world music professionally for many years. I also work with sound as a tool for mindfulness and healing, and am heading in a new direction in learning Irish traditional music.

Re: Known scammer - and scammers in general

Post by angelablueskies »

I believe that I was contacted by a scammer about my WTB post this week. The person said they had an instrument that I wanted to buy, but it was something else altogether... when I mentioned that, the person pivoted the conversation without any explanation and sent photographs that could have easily been lifted from the internet... what is the appropriate protocol for sharing about scammers here?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

angelablueskies wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:54 pm ... what is the appropriate protocol for sharing about scammers here?
No mercy.

Really, though: Outright targeted fraud is rather a new issue here, at least discussion-wise. For all we know, targeted scamming's possibly been going on longer than this, and for whatever reason nobody ever spoke up publicly until lately; we're learning, Angela, that your scammer appears to be only the latest attempt brought to our attention. So we're relieved that you were able to smell a rat, and we're grateful that you spoke up and alerted the community.

As to protocol, Board policy seems to be adequately covered in CCCP 18: In the case of scamming, email addresses and private correspondence may be divulged to the public; our united purpose here is to bring scammers out of the shadows and into the light. Take care with this, though; be absolutely certain that you are exposing a fraudster, and not someone who is merely inept. It would be best to consult with the mods first; we tend to get in a tizzy otherwise. So let that be protocol.

Once discovered, a scammer is likely to abandon the email address they were using at the time even if their contact info isn't published, so posting this info probably has a limited effect at best. Nevertheless, the real point is that we have a record (which could be useful), and that we are looking out for each other. Also be aware of the suspect's Board history: If they're a member without a posting record (especially after a year or two) and are contacting you by email - as they must, and this has happened - while it's not definitive, it's reason to be cautious. Also, bear in mind that the public C&F forums can be read by any and all regardless of membership or login status, so an outsider can attempt a scam too, simply by dint of window-shopping. There is nothing we are aware of that can be done about this at the Admin level, so it falls on the members to look out for each others' welfare, as well as their own. At that level of activity, Admin will do our part, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
angelablueskies
Tell us something.: I'm a lifelong flutist, and have played classical/world music professionally for many years. I also work with sound as a tool for mindfulness and healing, and am heading in a new direction in learning Irish traditional music.

Post by angelablueskies »

How would I know if the person was on here? I am not sure how to search for that.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

angelablueskies wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:22 pm How would I know if the person was on here? I am not sure how to search for that.
The only ways for a general member to do this is 1) If the other party identifies themself as a member and offers their username, then a C&F search on the username will probably tell you about their board activity; 2) Absent that, do an internet search on their email address - it may be inconclusive, though; and 3) If you have suspicions, you can certainly ask a mod to dig deeper on your behalf; it's a fairly quick process if the other party says they're a member. And remember that C&F membership has little bearing; a scam's a scam wherever it comes from, so all Admin can do is deactivate an account if there is one and it proves ill-intended, but we are certainly invested in keeping bad actors out of the roster.

The main thing is to keep your eyes open.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

angelablueskies wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:22 pm How would I know if the person was on here? I am not sure how to search for that.
You can ask for all responses to be by C&F PM (thus giving you their C&F membername & being able to view when they joined & all their previous (if any) public posts.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:56 pm
You can ask for all responses to be by C&F PM (thus giving you their C&F membername & being able to view when they joined & all their previous (if any) public posts.
Definitely. That way you call the shots. If they haven't posted yet or received full permissions - which include the privilege of sending and receiving PMs - then either they must get on the stick, or they must offer excuses or refuse outright, and that's going to tell you something.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's a bit of that going on on concertina. net as well.
My brain hurts

Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

When I had a scammer email me a while back I googled the email and found someone on a sax forum reporting him as a scammer. So its not like these scammers are an actual member of the community, its just someone trying to abuse music forums. Very likely a foreign scammer.

The safest thing is to set it so they can only forum PM you and not email. Then you can see if they have any activity. Will be problematic if its someone who doesnt post. But at least if its someone with some history, even a few posts, that will generally mean its a real member, which means its not a scammer most likely, seeing that the scammer shouldn't actually be a member of the community.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Narzog wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:13 pm When I had a scammer email me a while back I googled the email and found someone on a sax forum reporting him as a scammer. So its not like these scammers are an actual member of the community, its just someone trying to abuse music forums. Very likely a foreign scammer.

The safest thing is to set it so they can only forum PM you and not email. Then you can see if they have any activity. Will be problematic if its someone who doesnt post. But at least if its someone with some history, even a few posts, that will generally mean its a real member, which means its not a scammer most likely, seeing that the scammer shouldn't actually be a member of the community.
Pretty much spot on, this one, Narzog. It is, indeed, generally people from outside the forum. It almost always is if the first contact from them is by email.