Important Policy Change: New User Registrations

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Important Policy Change: New User Registrations

Post by MTGuru »

Effective immediately, we are implementing changes in the handling of new user registrations. Existing users will be unaffected by these changes (with one exception; see #3).

1. New registrants will no longer automatically receive an activation e-mail. Instead, an Administrator/Moderator will review each new registration request and either activate the account or send an activation e-mail to the account address, which must be a valid, non-disposable e-mail account.

2. A new registrant who receives an activation e-mail will have 48 hours to activate the account, otherwise the account will be deleted.

3. The new user queued post count has been increased from 1 to 3. This means that new users will need 3 posts to be approved by an Admin/Mod before being allowed to post freely without approval. Existing users with a post count of less than 3 will also be subject to the same approval.

4. New users can no longer send/receive Private Messages (PMs) until they have met the post approval quota and been granted PM access by an Admin/Mod. E-mail access remains as before.

5. New users can no longer post board messages in the Used Instruments Exchange forum until they have otherwise met the post approval quota and been granted UIE posting access by an Admin/Mod. New users can continue to read UIE offers and reply by e-mail.

NOTE: New users should allow 24-48 hours (or longer) for registration requests to be reviewed and for PM and UIE privileges after the quota is met.

We hope these changes will be mostly transparent. As always, the Chiffboard welcomes new users, who keep our community constantly growing and renewed. But spammers, trolls and other miscreants are invited to look elsewhere.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Brent Lyons

Re: Important Policy Change: New User Registrations

Post by Brent Lyons »

Are these changes due to a recent deluge of fraudulent accounts or have the you and the other Mods simply had enough of this kind of behavior?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Both.

cboody

Post by cboody »

Nice pro-active changes. Thanks.
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

MTGuru wrote:...miscreants are invited to look elsewhere.
Whew! Looks like I got in here just in time. :pint:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: <--- For keeping this a good place to hang out on the ol' dubya dubya dubya.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Just weeding the garden. Nice.
Punch Keen

Post by Punch Keen »

MTGuru wrote:5. New users can no longer post board messages in the Used Instruments Exchange forum until they have otherwise met the post approval quota and been granted UIE posting access by an Admin/Mod. New users can continue to read UIE offers and reply by e-mail.
How long does this take please?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Punch Keen wrote:How long does this take please?
Other considerations may also apply. For users who have been permanently banned from the board, this process may take a long, long time.

Uilleann17
Tell us something.: I play the uilleann pipes. I have been playing them for 10 year. I enjoy Celtic music and Acadiana. I also play guitar and viola di gamba.

Post by Uilleann17 »

Thread revival. - Mod

These changes must be a lot of work, but it undoubtedly makes this a site safer from spammers, scanners and miscreants.
kelticky
Tell us something.: I am a whistle player in Nova Scotia Canada... hoping to sell a whistle or two? Been playing off and on for about 30 years, but still pretty much an intermediate player at best!

Post by kelticky »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

How many posts does a new user need to make in order to post an instrument for sale. I have been a member here for many years now, and read and learned a great deal along the way, but tend to be a more quiet member. I have a few whistles to let go of, and this was the first place I thought of... but of course, I can't post lol
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

kelticky wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:19 pm [Thread revival. - Mod]

How many posts does a new user need to make in order to post an instrument for sale. I have been a member here for many years now, and read and learned a great deal along the way, but tend to be a more quiet member. I have a few whistles to let go of, and this was the first place I thought of... but of course, I can't post lol
3 posts, normally, if you want to post in the Used Instruments Exchange (UIE). But you can also post a For Sale notice right away elsewhere (so long as the instrument and forum fit, of course). After 3 first-time posts you will also be able to send and receive PMs (private messages), as well as edit your posts without approval.

It's all here, 3rd and 4th paragraphs:

https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... 5#p1038845

Give the CCCP a general look-see when you have time (conveniently, it's right below this thread on the Announcements Page, as well as in the top section of any other page on the Board :wink: ). Just about any question you should have about C&F that isn't covered in FAQ is bound to have answers there.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kelticky
Tell us something.: I am a whistle player in Nova Scotia Canada... hoping to sell a whistle or two? Been playing off and on for about 30 years, but still pretty much an intermediate player at best!

Post by kelticky »

thank you, i had read through some of this, but its a lot to get through... I appreciate the time! :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

kelticky wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:22 pm ... its a lot to get through...
It's why we suggest people look into it as questions arise. It's indexed, so no need to slog through the whole corpus at one go in finding what you need (unless that sort of thing counts for you as entertainment :wink: ), nor is there need to memorize it. Even we mods can't memorize it, so it's there for everyone. If we could have shortened anything, believe me, we would have done it; we've tried, but with some topics there's no getting around the need for going on at length, and every bit is pertinent. If you have questions that you can't find resolved in the CCCP for whatever reason, do contact a moderator by PM, or in your case as a brand spankin' newbie, the open forums are fine. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician