Stolen: Highland bagpipes, Offaly 2004

A place for our musicians to post information about instruments lost, stolen, or otherwise missing.
Forum rules
This is the C&F-wide forum for posting notices of any instruments which have been lost or stolen, or have gone missing.

Titles should include at least the type of instrument (flute, fiddle, etc.), the place of disappearance, and the nature of the loss.

Example: Stolen: Generation D whistle in Timbuktu

Reports linked from other sources or internet sites should include the basic information in addition to just the link.

In order to limit cross-posting, and to keep reporting and information centralized in one place, a post linking to a notice here (but not a copy) may be posted in ONE other C&F forum, typically the forum of the instrument involved.

Of course, follow-up posts to announce found or recovered instruments are always welcome!

Thanks - Your ChiffCo Management
Londubh
antispam: No

Stolen: Highland bagpipes, Offaly 2004

Post by Londubh »

Set of Kennedy highland bagpipes stolen from car at Irish Parachute Club, Clonbullogue, near Tullamore, Co. Offaly, Ireland, on Sun. 19th December 2004. Drones are African blackwood, and mounts are ivory. Chanter is stamped with makers name, A. Kennedy, Cork. The very distinctive silverwork on the slides and ferrules is hand chased, and by Allright & Marshall Dublin, and consists of designs from the Chi-Rho (Ciro) page of the book of Kells, and known as the 'beard pullers'. ie. the designs are of men pulling each others beards, and are quite distinctive. The pipes were taken along with a parachute, since recovered, but the pipes have still not been located. Despite the long time span since the theft, I am still hopeful of their recovery.
The parachute was recovered at a traveller halting site near Tullamore, so the pipes probably weren't far away, but it's anyones guess where they are now. I have been told that there were lots of musical instruments stolen in Tullamore, and ended up in the same place. If anyone has any info, mail me at seosamh10@gmail.com or call 0879229096. A reward is offered for the return of these pipes, and any info will be treated in the strictest confidence. Go raibh maith agaibh.