Desire To Learn Recorder, Should I Reconsider Due to Injury?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
coppcar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Desire To Learn Recorder, Should I Reconsider Due to Injury?

Post by coppcar »

I'd like to learn the recorder. I don't play anything else. So, I am pretty ignorant, but eager to learn.

My question

I am right handed. I am missing the third section of the middle finger on my right hand. Do you think I can still play this instrument? I don't want to start down that path if it's not going to work out for me.

Thank you.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Desire To Learn Recorder, Should I Reconsider Due to Injury?

Post by Peter Duggan »

Might be worth taking a look at these?

http://www.aulos.jp/en/products/disabled.html
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Having quickly grabbed a descant recorder ... yes, it's doable, so's a treble/alto. It "feels a little funny" to me, inevitably, but perfectly playable. As a suggestion, for the very little it will cost, beg steal or borrow a basic instrument and an introduction tutor book and spend a week or so at it. If you don't get anywhere it's little lost and a lesson well learnt ... if it starts to work, take it from there :)

Good luck !
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Most likely you'll be able to play without any bigger problems, and you should follow Kypfer's suggestion.
If however it should become clear that you are not able to play a normal recorder, Mollenhauer offer individual key systems for mostly any requirement: http://www.mollenhauer.com/index.php?op ... 96&lang=en
Such an instrument will of course be more expensive (but still far less than a violin or piano...).
Tonehole
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tonehole »

Hi Coppcar,

the missing distal phalanx of the left finger isn't a problem playing recorder of the garklein, soprano (descant) or alto pitches. Perhaps the keyed flute is easier to use, perhaps not to blow since the key seals the complete hole).

No reason to worry about the injury getting in the way - if anything, playing an instrument will help you overcome the injury.

The chromatic harmonica is also a great instrument if you're worried about the injury getting in the way.
coppcar

Post by coppcar »

Thank you all for the excellent answers!
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

If it's the investment that worries you, know that you can pick up a cheap plastic soprano recorder for just a dollar or two (honestly, my dollar store has clear plastic ones for a buck each). They sound awful, but that will be good enough to just try it.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
coppcar

Post by coppcar »

The investment is not an issue. It's just that I had no clue if the lack of a finger tip would make playing a recorder impossible. I just didn't want to spend the time trying if I was going fail because of that. I think it's pretty clear that it won't be a problem, so I am going to move forward. I'll post back with reports of my progress.

Thanks Tim.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

You could try the "pipers grip" that many whistle players use, especially for larger,lower whistles. Instead of fingering the holes with the distal finger pad, the fingers are held flat and the middle section of the finger is used. This may let you play the Alto recorder too. I just picked up one of my Alto recorders, and was able to use this fingering. A Tenor might be difficult.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!