Feild trumpet/bugle music outside of signals and calls.

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Feild trumpet/bugle music outside of signals and calls.

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have been looking at feild trumpet tunes lately due to the scale that play is the same as the scale of an open willow flute. It seems that of the quicksteps I have found tend to only use five or so notes common to the bugle and field trumpet but don't really deviate from that into the upper range. I am now wondering if there are any tunes for the natural horn that would cross over.

Kind of an odd subject and I if anyone has any good leads on music that is based in the natural harmonic series or field trumpet music I would be interested in reading about it. At this point I am not really sure I am really searching with the right terminology.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
whistlecollector
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Feild trumpet/bugle music outside of signals and calls.

Post by whistlecollector »

I.D.10-t wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:37 pm I have been looking at feild trumpet tunes lately due to the scale that play is the same as the scale of an open willow flute. It seems that of the quicksteps I have found tend to only use five or so notes common to the bugle and field trumpet but don't really deviate from that into the upper range. I am now wondering if there are any tunes for the natural horn that would cross over.

Kind of an odd subject and I if anyone has any good leads on music that is based in the natural harmonic series or field trumpet music I would be interested in reading about it. At this point I am not really sure I am really searching with the right terminology.
You might want to look into the technique called "hand stopping". It works nicely on trumpets, just as it does on horns! It might be harder on the much shorter tubing of a bugle, but I think with practice it could be done.

Last but not least, you could get brave and drill some holes into an old bugle and see if you can get it to work like a baroque trumpet! :shock:
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
I.D.10-t

Re: Feild trumpet/bugle music outside of signals and calls.

Post by I.D.10-t »

The baroque trumpet's lenth is what would yield the most notes its length of tubing is around 8 feet compared to 4 of the trumpet. It would be fun to take 3 trumpets, de-solder the joints and make one horn with extra wraps...

...but that would be a lot of work for a Frankenstein novelty horn.

https://www.brassforbeginners.com/pages ... al-trumpet

I just found it interesting that some tunes like the waltz "old knock knees" were written for the bugle, and even those seemed to limit the range to only 5 notes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VA--xg2fP ... QBiAQB8AUB

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxNYNR7jr ... QBiAQB8AUB
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."