4 chamber Mayan chord flute

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
David Cooper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

4 chamber Mayan chord flute

Post by David Cooper »

https://fb.watch/gWo65EASf3/

How common/rare is this idea? I was wondering if you could have the blowhole in the middle with a flute going out to each side, and this suggests it's viable.

Edit - it doesn't sound flute like, so it likely has one or multiple fipples, making it a lot less interesting, but he still gets good music out of it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: 4 chamber Mayan chord flute

Post by Nanohedron »

Never heard of Mayan four-pronged chord flutes before, so I did a search - I was frankly skeptical - and by golly, apparently they had them after all (per Wiki). But that's all I've got so far. It would be interesting to know if the maker had to reimagine the instrument, or if he had actual samples to work from. I'm less enchanted by its jeweled fripperies, but if one must go there, shouldn't he have used jade?

The instrument's capabilities are pretty impressive. I think there's no question that the maker knows what he's about when it comes to how winds work.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician