Aulos Tenor Recorder Identifying

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
jpassa01
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Aulos Tenor Recorder Identifying

Post by jpassa01 »

I have an older Aulos Tenor Recorder with one key. The recorder is brown and the only identification I can find is an "E". I'm assuming the E is for English (Baroque) fingering. How can I find the model number?
FrankPerrone
Tell us something.: Played sax and oboe in high school. Years later, living in apartment, decided to take up recorder as I thought it would be easier on neighbors than oboe. Been playing recorder for a few years. Have sopranino (Aulos), soprano (Mollenhauer Prima, Susato), alto (Yamaha 300, Mollanhauer Prima, Mollenhauer Denner Pallisander, Zen-on Giglio), tenor (Adler) and bass (Yamaha). Also have a lot of whistles but never really cracked (ha ha) the code as whistle technique is quite different from recorder technique. I also have a lot of harmonicas and world wind instruments (Ba Wu, Dudek, Sipsi and Nose Flute (!).

Re: Aulos Tenor Recorder Identifying

Post by FrankPerrone »

The Saunders Recorder (UK) page has lots of information. Attached is link to information on older Aulos Recorders. http://saundersrecorders.com/oldaulos.htm
BobbieCB
Tell us something.: I mainly play folk flutes -- ocarinas, recorders, tin whistles, and the like, though I used to play sax.

Re: Aulos Tenor Recorder Identifying

Post by BobbieCB »

well, to reply to an ancient thread....

Thanks for this info. I was able to determine I have an Aulos 311. I bought it from an airport "lost luggage" sale decades ago.

As the Saunders info says, the key is delicate. Mine got broken but superglue fixed it up. Thanks to modern glues!

I have a new Aulos tenor and I feel the old 311 definitely has a better tone. The newer one is louder, while the old one is more mellow and softer, a better sound, imho.

Cheers.