The FluteFling Collection new tunebook

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The FluteFling Collection new tunebook

Post by kenny »

I posted this in the "Flute Forum", but it occurred to me that since probably over 60% of the tunes in our book are Scottish, we would qualify for the "World / Folk Winds" category, so :

Myself and two other flute players, Sharon Creasey from Dumbarton and Gordon Turnbull from Edinburgh have been organising "FluteFling" weekends of classes, talks and sessions in both Edinburgh and Aberdeen since 2014. Coronavirus put the kibosh on any teaching in person for the past 2 years, but we were not defeated ! We obtained funding from the Tasgadh small grants for traditional music awards scheme to pay 10 past tutors and guests to provide us with 10 tunes - favourite traditional, and also original compositions - for us to publish in a tune book with a specific bias towards both flute and whistle. Between us, including the 3 editors, we have an A4 size book containing 133 tunes, 44 of which are original compositions not previously published [ although a few have surfaced on "thesession.org" ]. The majority are Scottish in origin, but there is significant input from Ireland as well.
The contributors - apart from the 3 of us - are Cathal McConnell - Niall Kenny - Rebecca Knorr - Tom Oakes - Dougie Pincock
Orlaith McAuliffe - John Gahagan - Munro Gauld - Claire Mann - Davy Maguire

We officially launched the book at this year's Stonehaven Folk Festival on the 9th of July. As I write this on 27th July, we have sold 80 copies of the book already, plus 11 eBooks, to Scotland, England, Ireland North and South, France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Croatia, the USA and Australia.

The book can be purchased via the "FluteFling" website here : http://www.flutefling.scot/

The book price is £18.00, plus £2.00 for Postage and Packaging within the UK.
We apologise for the high postage costs imposed by the UK Post Office, so because of that, sending a book outwith the UK will cost :
Europe -£23.00 - USA / Canada - £26.00 - Australia / NZ - £28.00
An alternative which will be available via the FluteFling website would be the purchase of an eBook for £10.00.

Although this is technically a "Commercial Post", any and all profits from selling the book will be used to fund future "FluteFling" activities, giving us some financial base without constantly having to resort to the lottery of funding and grant applications. Having said that, I would like to put on record our gratitude to Tasgadh, who have supported us financially in nearly all our projects up to and including this one.

Sorry about the length of this post, but this is a big venture for us. We hope some of you may be able to support us. If there are any queries, either post them here, or send me a Private Message.
Many thanks to you all, Kenny.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"