Can you tell me about this Küng recorder

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Misfit-45
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in learning more about recorders. I have been playing for many years. I would call myself an intermediate player.

Can you tell me about this Küng recorder

Post by Misfit-45 »

Hi Folks,
I'm new to the forum. I've been playing the soprano recorder for many years. My question revolves around a Küng recorder I purchased used a few years back. I don't know how old it is, and I can't find it online.

It's a Küng Masterpiece 607 Made in Switzerland.

1. How old is it?

2. What do I have here? Can anyone tell me more about it? The Küng has a little more "husky" sound than my sweet sounding Moeck 229 in maple, and it does very well on the low "C", i.e. it has more power than the Moeck. The wood is heavily grained and looks like a Rosewood of some kind. The Küng is in need of a little repair. The cork needs to be replaced and it could use some "voicing" work.

3. Is there a difference between voicing a recorder and tuning a recorder? (other than sliding the head in or out)

4. Is there anyone who does that kind of work this side of the Atlantic?

5. Is it worth putting money into an older recorder that may only be a "student" model?
(Don't know why it cut off the end of the picture)

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Can you tell me about this Küng recorder

Post by Peter Duggan »

Misfit-45 wrote:1. How old is it?
It's a style that Küng made over many years.
3. Is there a difference between voicing a recorder and tuning a recorder? (other than sliding the head in or out)
Yes. Voicing involves expert adjustment of the crucial sound-producing parts, e.g. the chamfers at the windway exit. What makes you feel it needs voicing work if you don't know that?
4. Is there anyone who does that kind of work this side of the Atlantic?
Yes. (Whichever side of the Atlantic you're on.)
5. Is it worth putting money into an older recorder that may only be a "student" model?
Up to you and impossible to say from a photo, but it's probably quite a nice recorder.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Misfit-45
Tell us something.: I am interested in learning more about recorders. I have been playing for many years. I would call myself an intermediate player.

Post by Misfit-45 »

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I plead ignorance. About 15 years ago I had my Moeck worked on by a gentleman on the east coast. I wanted to have it looked at and "tuned up" to be at its best. This included voicing the instrument. I thought voicing included slight adjustments to the holes to correct minor tuning problems. It came back playing better than ever. The man has long since retired. I thought I might have the same work done on the Küng.
I found a couple of places that advertised that they do similar work, but not many.
Do you have any recommendations of someone who is good and trustworthy to "tune up" this instrument?
Marv
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

While I cannot recommend a recorder tech, one thing about the Küng piqued my curiosity. Are the lower two sets of holes of equal diameter, or is that a trick of the camera?
Misfit-45

Post by Misfit-45 »

Dan,
I rotated the lower end of the recorder for a better comparison. I noticed this years ago, but didn't think much about it. What's your take on it?
Marv

Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

They sure look to be of equal diameter. You'd need a set of calipers --or, better yet, an inside micrometer --to confirm. But if they are of equal diameter, that could well be a good option for me!