Recorder woes

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
fatmac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Recorder woes

Post by fatmac »

That would make it a soprano, key of 'C' / C5 lowest note.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Yes, soprano is about 12" long, alto about 18", and I believe sopranino is about 9"?

The "B" likely means it has baroque (also called English) fingering (that's what you want; give the miss to German).
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Katharine wrote:The "B" likely means it has baroque (also called English) fingering.
That makes perfect sense.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

The time frame for editing has lapsed, so I'll have to make a new post.

Soon the drumstick bag I use to store my instruments will be full. It could be time to thin the herd, and if I do so, the recorder will be the first to go. There are a few reasons for this: it's least suited to me, it takes up the most space, and I've used the cleaning rod more than the recorder. Once I get my whistle swab, I'll have no more need for the cleaning rod. I'm not giving up on the recorder entirely; I just believe one custom-made for a lefty would suit me better.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Dan A. wrote:
Katharine wrote:The "B" likely means it has baroque (also called English) fingering.
That makes perfect sense.
Not always! lol The Aulos 509B is apparently so named because it's the second version of the 509 that they've come out with. (I think the Aulos recorders are marked with an "E" to denote English fingering.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

I am now at a crossroads with the recorder. As I figured, space in my storage bag is at a premium (and my Dixon instruments may even have to come out of their nice little cases). About the only use I, personally, have for the recorder anymore is to send it to a flutemaker for use as a pattern for a custom-made, left-handed one. That's assuming that there are any flutemakers who don't currently make Delrin recorders, but would be willing to do so; I'll do some research into that. I'm almost certain it's time to find the recorder a new home.

Edit: a Google search for "Delrin recorders" got me nowhere (Delrin guitar picks are the last dadgummed thing I need!). I sent an e-mail to Copley Flutes; we'll see what Dave and Co. might have to say.