NOVICA Quena from Amazon

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
tradlad123
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

NOVICA Quena from Amazon

Post by tradlad123 »

Looking for reviews/comments on this. I ordered this, and is pretty sturdily built, but so far I can't go to the highest note in the second octave (and beyond).

I came across posts on the interwebz about quenas being good for 3 octaves, so wondering if it's the quena or me :)
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: NOVICA Quena from Amazon

Post by Sedi »

Try leaving the lowest hole covered ooooox. That can stabilize the highest note. It might be tricky because of the large bore of a quena. And I guess you have a fingering chart? The fingerings for the 3rd octave are quite different. This might help:
https://www.wfg.woodwind.org/tinwhistle/tw_bas_3.html
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Post by tradlad123 »

Thanks for the link, very helpful!
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Here is another one, since the one above is for fifes and tin whistles and lacks the thumb hole.
https://www.thepanflutestore.com/single ... Digitation
tradlad123

Post by tradlad123 »

EVen better, thanks again!
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

And, are you coming to grips with the quena?
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

That top note of the second octave, as well as the third octave root can be tricky on good quenas and practically impossible on some of the mediocre versions. I introduced tapered bores in my own quena to try to make these notes more accessible (as well as to keep them from being so flat, which they tend to be on traditional quena). Even with such design features, which greatly improve access, it still takes a very strong and focused embouchure to hit these notes. Out of all the flutes I've played, I think the quena is the most unusual in that it's quite accessible to play in the first octave (making it a good "gateway" flute for folks who have never tried to play a woodwind that needs the player to use their embouchure), but exceedingly difficult to play high in the second octave or into the third. In that sense it is more difficult than most others. Weird combination. The Easy-Difficult flute.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I'd guess it's because of the huge bore. My wooden "Pedrin" Quena has a bore large enough for a low D. But I also have an aluminium quena with a smaller bore, which plays a bit easier into the 3rd octave.

And two of my quenas have constrictions at the bottom which probably makes the higher notes a bit easier -- or are they there to make the low notes more bold? I'm not sure about the effect but it will certainly increase pressure inside the tube.

Just gave them a little blast playing "Pajaro Madrugador", which goes up to the 3rd octave G. The bambus quena definitely is the easiest to play. The large bore "Pedrin" the most difficult.
It looks like the bambus quena has a slight taper, too. And a pronounced oval profile. Overall the bambus quena is the sweetest player, even though it looks like a cheap souvenir.
tradlad123

Post by tradlad123 »

Missed replying to this! I am able to reach slightly upwards on the octave, but not there yet. Quena is not the primary flute I play, so not in a hurry at all (focusing a little more on Shakuhachi as well). Too many flutes, very little time :)
Though I now can resonate with it being an "easy-difficult" flute.
scottie

Post by scottie »

tradlad123 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:29 pm Looking for reviews/comments on this. I ordered this, and is pretty sturdily built, but so far I can't go to the highest note in the second octave (and beyond).

I came across posts on the interwebz about quenas being good for 3 octaves, so wondering if it's the quena or me :)
The Quena is not an easy instrument to play. I usually can get an instrument going after working with it for a while and will tell you to get the third octave will take you a while if you are just starting. I bought one of those from Amazon and was not pleased with it compared to the one I bought from a guy in South America. His was plain but the wood was very nice and I could get more sounds out of his than the one from Amazon but to be honest the problem was probably myself. They are difficult to play. I have totally given up on them even though they sound nice.