alto up and movable cleff: my bad experience

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
jeffrey armbruster
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning the alto recorder. I play classical guitar. and here I am filling in a field tprove that I'm not an evil hacker. what a world!

alto up and movable cleff: my bad experience

Post by jeffrey armbruster »

I'm taking my first sight reading class with about 6 other people. I've never played in an ensemble and my sight reading is shaky, but I was let in. All was fine until we were assigned reading alto up; i.e. playing the score an octave higher than it appears. My short amount of practice was alright with simple scales but I never mastered the playing fifths exercise. Anyway in class while reading a new score I really had trouble and started making simple, stupid mistakes. I'm amazed at how bothered I am by this and distressed at doing so poorly in front of this group. I'm not used to being the dumb guy in class. that said, everyone there has been playing for 20 years or more and has experience with alto up. I guess I'm venting.

anyone find alto up to be difficult at first?

Next week we cover movable cleff and I think I'll bail; it's the last class and I feel I have many more important things to work on, like learning to read for my soprano and dozen other things.

I can see that learning alto up is great for solidifying my reading and fingering skills and will probably come in helpful in some ensemble situations.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: alto up and movable cleff: my bad experience

Post by benhall.1 »

jeffrey armbruster wrote:Next week we cover movable cleff and I think I'll bail
If it was me, the situation you describe would make me want to attend the class even more. Firstly, you really do only learn from your mistakes. If you're always in your comfort zone, there is no learning. Secondly, it's amazing how, maybe many months or even years later, something that may have been so beyond me as to seem absolutely baffling at the time, come back to me and help me in what I want to do.

That is exactly the sort of situation, and opportunity, that I, personally, wouldn't miss for the world.
jeffrey armbruster
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning the alto recorder. I play classical guitar. and here I am filling in a field tprove that I'm not an evil hacker. what a world!

Post by jeffrey armbruster »

Well of course you're right, benhall. This whole thing has shown me some things about myself. I'm rarely one to bail on something. the thing is, the rest of the class has been playing recorders in ensembles for decades. I was hoping to show that I have some skill on my lonely alto but I'm thrown into a class the emphasizes all that I can't do well. In fact I keep time very well and if I know or can learn a piece, I could play duets or ensembles. I have very good tone, hit the high notes and have a good sense of phrasing but want to learn more. I was hoping to meet even one person to play with. I feel like such a klutz I doubt this will happen.

In any case I care too much, in a bad way, and that gets in my way. Too much pressure and extraneous ego stuff going on. Now I think I'll just reprise my poor performance and end feeling even worse.

What I'd really like is to find jsut one or two people to play several pieces where I have my part beforehand and can learn it, just to experience playing with others and relax, get some confidence up. Here it's all, 'well, here's a new piece, don't play the notes as written, play alto up or on another clef.' Hard to get my confidence! But of course these are skills that must be learned. I feel I need some preliminary skills.
clara_harp
Tell us something.: I play both harp and recorder. Looking for a forum for recorder reviews and personal experiences about a particular one.

Post by clara_harp »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

I've been playing instruments since a teen and always loved music. But I'm one of those musicians that just couldn't get along with reading sheet music and musical theory. All is well as long as I'm not confronted with it in written form. It literally took me over 10yrs to be able to sight read because as soon as my eyes see a clef the brain switches off. This doesn't make you the 'dumb guy' it makes you a person who learns primarily by aural tradition. I also used to think I was particularly thick until it realised I can hear intervals like no-ones business, tune my instrument entirely be ear and learn songs just by listening to them. That's the way I process music many people are the same. Our brains don't like to see it abstracted in musical notation because we understand it by hearing it.

I can now sight read treble and the bass clef is getting there. I am slowly working me way through musical theory because it's useful to understand what other people are talking about. When I play alto up I just pretend that middle C is the lowest note on my instrument and play it like a descant. It helps to view the clef in relative not absolute terms. So when I see that dot on the line below the clef i know...oh that's a C and choose whatever C I want, then make all the other notes relative to that. So pay a third up, the next note down, back to c etc, etc. The trouble is, humanity standardises teaching methods to cater to the majority. Which is fine if you are in the majority in the way you process the world. But I find the way most subjects are taught to be counter-intuitive for me and cause more problems than they solve. I frequently have to find my own method of learning with anything then I'm all good.
Last edited by clara_harp on Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.