A Kickstarter Electronic Recorder?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
FrankPerrone
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Played sax and oboe in high school. Years later, living in apartment, decided to take up recorder as I thought it would be easier on neighbors than oboe. Been playing recorder for a few years. Have sopranino (Aulos), soprano (Mollenhauer Prima, Susato), alto (Yamaha 300, Mollanhauer Prima, Mollenhauer Denner Pallisander, Zen-on Giglio), tenor (Adler) and bass (Yamaha). Also have a lot of whistles but never really cracked (ha ha) the code as whistle technique is quite different from recorder technique. I also have a lot of harmonicas and world wind instruments (Ba Wu, Dudek, Sipsi and Nose Flute (!).

A Kickstarter Electronic Recorder?

Post by FrankPerrone »

I have no vested interest in project. It looks interesting and I signed on. Your opinions sought.
Here is the Kickstarter address: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/88 ... reinvented.
It is called a "re.corder".
The premise is that they take a soprano recorder and electronically modify it to:
1. Be played as a regular soprano.
2. Be played (blowed) as a sort of EWI with software emulating various instruments.
3. Be played as a MIDI controller (not blowed) emulating various instruments.
To me:
Pro:
It uses recorder fingerings and can connect with a computer over Bluetooth.
The fingerings (they say) can be set to other tuneings.
The cost will be about $80 shipped.
Con:
It is a soprano recorder and thus small, shrill and too small for my hands.
It is a Kickstarter and my money might be gambled away if this never actually gets to production.
I always wanted an electronic recorder so this might fit the bill.
FrankP
bwat
Tell us something.: Woodwind and brass player. Interested in jazz and folk music. I'm here for the flute discussions. I really can't think of anything else to report and I have to pad this out to at least 1000 characters.

Re: A Kickstarter Electronic Recorder?

Post by bwat »

Even if they could realise this product, do you think there’s a big enough market to bring the costs (components/materials, software dev, hardware dev, testing, marketing, customer support, handling returns of faulty products, etc...) down to 80 dollars?
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

You may want to consider a Kickstarter project that came to fruition with a very good product, in terms of electronic recorders:

https://www.ecorder.io/

This is a much more full featured instrument. Depends what you are after. And don't forget all the existing EWI's from Akai and Roland.
bwat
Tell us something.: Woodwind and brass player. Interested in jazz and folk music. I'm here for the flute discussions. I really can't think of anything else to report and I have to pad this out to at least 1000 characters.

Post by bwat »

Andro wrote:And don't forget all the existing EWI's from Akai and Roland.
Do they offer recorder fingering?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

The WARBL wind controller might fill the bill. Although I'm not entirely sure about recorder fingering vs. whistle or chanter fingering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Azof-JJxLk

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107566
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108520
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
FrankPerrone
Tell us something.: Played sax and oboe in high school. Years later, living in apartment, decided to take up recorder as I thought it would be easier on neighbors than oboe. Been playing recorder for a few years. Have sopranino (Aulos), soprano (Mollenhauer Prima, Susato), alto (Yamaha 300, Mollanhauer Prima, Mollenhauer Denner Pallisander, Zen-on Giglio), tenor (Adler) and bass (Yamaha). Also have a lot of whistles but never really cracked (ha ha) the code as whistle technique is quite different from recorder technique. I also have a lot of harmonicas and world wind instruments (Ba Wu, Dudek, Sipsi and Nose Flute (!).

Post by FrankPerrone »

Thanks all, for your comments. Again, I approach this as a recorder player so the question of how alike the instrument's fingerings are to standard recorder fingerings is of importance. The second octave and above fingerings on a recorder are based on lower octave harmonics. You don't just press an octave key, the fingerings are quite different than the first octave and it is those fingerings I have muscle memory for.
Some other instruments mentioned by others and my take:
1. Ecorder: Saw this on Team Recorder (Sarah Jeffery) website and very impressed. $1750 price is prohibitive.
2. WARBL: Price $250, OK I guess. But (per fingering chart) uses "German" vs. "English/Baroque" fingering and only has range of a ninth. Standard recorder has octave+ninth and more than that with advanced technique.
3. Sylpho: Same range/fingering as WARBL and costs 799 Euro.
4. Various EWIs do not have standard recorder fingerings, at least not out of box.
5. Vindor ES1. This is an electronic saxophone and costs $199. Only sax fingerings at present but promises clarinet and flute in future.
FrankP
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

https://warbl.xyz/

Perhaps you misunderstand the capabilities of the WARBL. It can emulate a whistle or soprano recorder, and covers 2 octaves with overblowing.

Fingering chart for soprano recorder is on page 45 of the manual.
https://warbl.xyz/WARBL%20User%20Manual.pdf
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
FrankPerrone

Post by FrankPerrone »

Re WARBL
I will investigate further and no criticism intended if I misunderstood capabilities. Fingering chart online only showed range of ninth. Overblowing on whistle is much different fingering than recorder fingering for higher octave though. My main point was that I want something that is exactly like a recorder. Maybe a goal never realized.
FrankP
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

As to being a recorder, there's the Mollenhauer Elody.

https://www.mollenhauer.com/en/catalog/ ... dy#content

The price will, um, impress you. But the fact is, they exist.

Andrew
FrankPerrone

Post by FrankPerrone »

Always dreamed of Elody but like eCorder will wait until I win Lotto. I have a few Mollenhauer recorders and know they are good but mortgage comes first...
FrankP
Tor

Post by Tor »

kkrell wrote:https://warbl.xyz/

Perhaps you misunderstand the capabilities of the WARBL. It can emulate a whistle or soprano recorder, and covers 2 octaves with overblowing.
One could presumably have a Low D emulation using the WARBL? Maybe I have to look at it again. (Ok I admit to some frustration at the moment in how tricky the Low D can be for certain passages compared to the soprano. Grr.. )
Andrew Mowry
Tell us something.: I've had a lifelong interest in trad music and have read the forum but never posted. I've been working on a MIDI whistle/bagpipe device that has been discussed here. Thanks!

Post by Andrew Mowry »

Hi folks, I'm the maker of WARBL--I just saw this discussion and thought I'd chime in. I'm always interested in improving the firmware and fingering charts, so please feel free to let me know if you have suggestions for improving the recorder capabilities. With the newest firmware, which I will release in about a week (or is available now in beta form), the recorder fingering allows a three-octave range by using a combination of overblowing and the back thumb hole. We've also added some more cross-fingered accidentals. The changelog here lists all firmware changes: https://github.com/amowry/warbl/blob/ma ... angelog.md

Thanks for your support!

-Andrew
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

I'd like something like this purely so I could play as much as I like, with headphones in, without disturbing anyone. But also what would be cool would be an e.whistle, with the ability to play in any key right down to low D but be the size of a soprano whistle. I'm sure they'll get there...
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

If playing through an amp, you can often 'octave shift' the digital sound, so likely you can in the software too.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Post by jimhanks »

AuLoS303 wrote:I'd like something like this purely so I could play as much as I like, with headphones in, without disturbing anyone. But also what would be cool would be an e.whistle, with the ability to play in any key right down to low D but be the size of a soprano whistle. I'm sure they'll get there...
The WARBL can do that. It is MIDI and you can set the transpose to whatever you want. The trick might be in finding a sound module that sounds good with the transposition.

The option mentioned of pitch shifting the audio of the sound module is also an option but you have to be careful with that. Simply downshifting audio by an octave rarely works well.