Purchasing Ramos Quena to learn to play. Advice wanted

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
mrieder79
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in learning to play the quena and want to discuss the instrument with others who have experience playing and purchasing them.

Purchasing Ramos Quena to learn to play. Advice wanted

Post by mrieder79 »

Hi,

I've played guitar for years but now I've got the itch to try wind instruments and the quena caught my eyes. I've done a fair amount of research and for a first quena to learn on, I'm looking at this Ramos quena.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INCA-GOLD-PROF ... Swl8ZdZuoC

For those of you who play, would you recommend this as a beginner instrument or am I not spending enough money?

All input is appreciated.
Sedi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Purchasing Ramos Quena to learn to play. Advice wanted

Post by Sedi »

Looks fine to me. I do play and I have made a couple from PVC-pipe which is fairly easy. I did buy a very cheap one once that had slight tuning issues--the thumb hole was tuned sharp and it should be the same note as overblowing with all holes closed. I think "Ramos" is a good brand (I always assumed they are made by the same guy who has the youtube channel "JMramos40" but I am not so sure anymore--might just be a coincidence: https://www.youtube.com/user/JMramos40). Never tried them but stumbled upon them while looking for new instruments to buy. I bought a quenacho from "boliviamall.com" which was also quite good and well in tune. But the standard quena in G is easier to play.
scottie

Re: Purchasing Ramos Quena to learn to play. Advice wanted

Post by scottie »

If I were you I would try to make a cheap plastic one to learn on. You may be surprised and decide to try something else. They may sound great but you need to be able to play one and if you have never tried that you better think twice about spending hard earned money for a good one. Try to build one first and if you get the hang of it and think it is for you then buy one. It takes patience to play one of these.