Telenka

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
David Cooper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Telenka

Post by David Cooper »

Does anyone know anything about the capabilities of telenka? There was one used in the Ukrainian song that won the Eurovision Pong Contest, as seen in the picture at the top of this page: https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/ka ... urovision/. There are no fingerholes in it, and all I've found so far about playing one is Wikipedia's: "The pitch produced from the instrument is changed by placing a finger into the open end of the pipe, and covering this opening by a half or third etc. and also by the strength of the player's breath."
Mr.Gumby

Re: Telenka

Post by Mr.Gumby »

This video gives some impression of what it can achieve. :thumbsup:
My brain hurts

David Cooper
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Re: Telenka

Post by David Cooper »

Thanks - that led me to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3v_sKo ... el=harevis with an extensive demonstration of what it can do, and they call it an overtone flute there. I saw the Eurovision one and assumed it was just a fake flute, but I now see it's real.