storing the flute: keep bottom pieces together or apart?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Re: storing the flute: keep bottom pieces together or apart?

Post by tin tin »

Thanks, all, for the responses. The Olwell recommendation makes sense (probably lightens the compression, as well), so I think that's the approach I'll follow.
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

If you leave the sections assembled, the cork will get compacted over time. Not a big deal; you'll just have to redo the joint a little sooner than otherwise. Synthetic cork holds up much better, and it's not expensive (check with you local repairman). A case that's designed to hold all the pieces in a separated arrangement will ensure better drying of the bore between playing sessions. As others have said, it might not be worth the trouble of getting a special case.

Walt Sweet

SHANNONs are back in stock:
http://wdsweetflutes.com/shannon.php
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

I have a Watson flute like the example shown in the OP. I bought the flute new and was keeping the bottom sections together at first. After a while I noticed that the cork was getting compressed and the joint was getting loose. Fortunately there is just enough room in the case to separate the pieces and still fit them in the case. Now the cork dries out and expands creating a tighter joint.

Cheers,

Kirk
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

So I'm going to bump this old thread because its exactly what I'm wondering. I just got a Seery on Ebay for a steal. No idea if its real or synthetic cork. But I'm trying to decide if I can store it together or not. It will live on my whistle/flute rack on my wall. So no need to take it apart for travel. I'm, torn between if taking it apart and putting it together constantly will wear out the cork, or if leaving it together will compress the cork. My goal is for it to last and need as little upkeep as possible, which delrin flutes are good at.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Store them separately.

They need to expand to create a tight non leaking joint.

If you keep them together, it will eventually compress & be less air tight, & may/will need replacing.

(Of course, they may also stick together.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Narzog wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:23 am So I'm going to bump this old thread because its exactly what I'm wondering. I just got a Seery on Ebay for a steal. No idea if its real or synthetic cork. But I'm trying to decide if I can store it together or not. It will live on my whistle/flute rack on my wall. So no need to take it apart for travel. I'm, torn between if taking it apart and putting it together constantly will wear out the cork, or if leaving it together will compress the cork. My goal is for it to last and need as little upkeep as possible, which delrin flutes are good at.
I was watching that older Seery but didn't want to raise the bid. Pretty sure that's natural cork. Anyway, given there is no risk to the joints as with wood, I'd just leave it fully assembled (and vertical) to keep handy for play. Sure, eventually (likely a long time) you may need to replace the tenon corks, or wrap with thread - not a big deal.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

kkrell wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:49 am I was watching that older Seery but didn't want to raise the bid. Pretty sure that's natural cork. Anyway, given there is no risk to the joints as with wood, I'd just leave it fully assembled (and vertical) to keep handy for play. Sure, eventually (likely a long time) you may need to replace the tenon corks, or wrap with thread - not a big deal.
Haha thanks for not bidding. I was worried it was a scam because nobody was bidding and the listing expired and price dropped. And a few days before it ended there was another Seery on facebook that sold for over $100 more in a day or two.

My thought is that if the cork does get messed up from leaving it together, to just replace it with thread. I'll leave it upright after playing, I can just lean it up against my guitar gig bag in the corner so it will dry, before storing it on the rack. Will just be much more convenient. My wooden angus flute seems decent but I never play it, because then I have to dry it, oil it here and there, etc lol. Much easier to just pick up a whistle. So my hope is to just leave this one together and ready to pick up at any time.
fatmac wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:25 am Store them separately.

They need to expand to create a tight non leaking joint.

If you keep them together, it will eventually compress & be less air tight, & may/will need replacing.

(Of course, they may also stick together.)
I'm worried about the sticking but the shrinking could at least be fixed with thread. Not sure which case is more likely to happen. I could also just replace it with thread now if that cant have any issues, but the cork is in excellent condition so it feels like a waste to remove it.