Terry McGee- Did You Play "The Sheep Under the Snow?"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MikeS

Terry McGee- Did You Play "The Sheep Under the Snow?"

Post by MikeS »

I just did a quick search to see if your area had been spared by the fires so far, and I came across this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-15/m ... an/5024474

:o
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Terry McGee- Did You Play "The Sheep Under the Snow?"

Post by Terry McGee »

Heh heh, sure looks like it, doesn't it. That was pretty weird. We don't even get a frost here in midwinter, and suddenly a hailstorm that left the whole place white in the middle of spring. And with bushfires to our north and south!

Apparently it has happened before, but the meteorologists reckon we are unlikely to see it twice in a lifetime. It requires the coincidence of a warm humid day, a sudden cool change, an an updraft which keeps the hail up in the cold air for long enough to reach a reasonable size.

The kids loved it, of course, and came in some time later absolutely freezing, as they were dressed for the warm day that had preceded it. And the media loved it because not much happens in our sleepy hamlet. The roses and the silverbeet hated it - the silverbeet looks like the end result of machine gun attack.

Things aren't so much fun on the fire front - hundreds of houses lost to our north, and a fire in the mountains to our south east. Tomorrow is forecast for hot, windy, dry conditions, so its fingers-crossed time. We are unlikely to be called to the northern fires - they have a few thousand firefighters from about four states there already. But we may get called out to the south eastern fire. We've had a little light rain today, so again, fingers crossed. So far it's been in fairly impenetrable mountainous area, so they've been hitting it from the air. But if it starts approaching civilisation, things will change dramatically.

It's hard to play flute with fingers crossed....

Terry