Best lip balm?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Best lip balm?

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Hi all,

I wondered whether anyone has suggestions for the best lip balm for a flute player. I suffer from a wildly inconsistant embouchure that seems to stem from the varying states of raggedness happening on my lips. I've been switching brands quite a bit, but it seems like every brand has something in it (i.e. salycilic acid) that dries out one's lips again in order to sell more product. Any suggestions?

-RCS
megapop

Re: Best lip balm?

Post by megapop »

Cork grease, of course.
return null;
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:Cork grease, of course.
Megapop, you beat me to it! :D Mint flavored.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Simply licking the lips once in awhile keeps mine moist for a long time. It might not work so well if the mouth is dry, though.

Not exactly what you were asking about, but something worth noting, is that being dehydrated is something that will cause the lips to dry out much more quickly, and studies have shown most americans to be at least somewhat dehydrated the majority of the time. It may or may not fix the issue, but it's worth at least drinking some extra big glasses of water during the day, to see if that helps the issue. It can't hurt.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Chicken fat.
maki

Post by maki »

Bert's Bee Balm.
Peewit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

I use lip balm from the Body Shop - the only kind that doesn't make my lips sting. My preferred one is their Vitamin E.

Interesting about dehydration; I also drink a lot of water every day. In my experience, licking the lips only dries them more. Drink up, and good luck!
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
maki

Post by maki »

Sirchronique wrote:Simply licking the lips once in awhile keeps mine moist for a long time. It might not work so well if the mouth is dry, though.

Not exactly what you were asking about, but something worth noting, is that being dehydrated is something that will cause the lips to dry out much more quickly, and studies have shown most americans to be at least somewhat dehydrated the majority of the time. It may or may not fix the issue, but it's worth at least drinking some extra big glasses of water during the day, to see if that helps the issue. It can't hurt.
For me, chapped lips are a sign that I'm not drinking enough water.
Try to get a minimum of two quarts a day.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I hope this isn't considered a medical thread.

As has been said, drink lots of water. Probably doesn't hurt to have a decent amount of lipids (oils) in your diet. I don't have a suggestion for a lip balm (don't use it), but a good softener for lips is a drop of Jason's Tea Tree Oil Hair Conditioner, or the Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Antiseptic Cream. Doubt it's good to eat, but you can apply and rinse off.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Guinness (obviously)
I suffer from a wildly inconsistant embouchure
I suspect most of us do, how long have you been playing flute?
Mark
Michel

Post by Michel »

Try this:
http://www.chopsaver.com/

it's good.

M
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Charles Nicholson suggested that having the lips too wet is not good as it will enlarge the stream of air and loose focus.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

A really high quality and fresh organic olive oil is what I use. But before you go out and get some for this and culinary uses, be sure to check out this link: http://truthinoliveoil.com/great-oil/ho ... olive-oil/ Its also great for the skin. Preferred oil for anointing. Lesser quality grades were referred to as "lamp oil" and you do not want to use that.

My favorite oil comes from a farm near Orinda CA. Nice people. They are saving for me the occasional large trunk or two from trees that they have to occasionally remove or cull. California olive wood is very nice for flute and bagpipe making. Actually, any olive wood. I particularly like the harder and finer grained stuff from South Africa. I have plans to make myself something out of some that is very straight grained and intensely fiddlebacked.

Don't overdo it on the water consumption. Too much water can cause problems. Especially on long car trips.

Casey
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

May I suggest moisturizing your lips when you get out of the shower. Moisturize your whole body then too. None of us are getting younger. Oils have a much harder time being absorbed into dry skin/lips than moist lips.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Thanks for the input, folks. I usually put grapeseed oil on my lips after I get out of the shower, but throughout the day the skin on my lips slowly dries and contracts, pulling them into different confirmations and (if I chew them) roughening the surface and adding turbulence to the airstream. (Ew on all accounts, I know). Additionally, I hydrate like crazy due to prior kidney stone risk.