M and E 6 key

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

M and E 6 key

Post by eedbjp »

I was wondering aout the M and E 6 key ebonite. The price is reasonable. Would this be a good flute for playing classical etc. ? Is it loud enough for a session? What are its strong points?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: M and E 6 key

Post by Jayhawk »

I play everything on mine. Although I primarily play trad, I also play a bit of ragtime, classical, and Christmas tunes (our band is working up a set for an upcoming holiday gig).

It's not as loud as a pratten based flute, but it's plenty loud enough for sessions. Our session routinely has 12-16 people, and it's fine in that setting. When our session, as it unfortunately does from time to time, grows to more than 20 players, well, you can't hear anyone on the far end of the oval we usually sit in, especially with the punters adding to the noise level cheering on the whatever sports event is onscreen.

I've said it many times, but I really like mine. You can't beat the price for a 6 keyed flute, and I like ebonite's tone and low maintenance requirements (e.g., basically none).

Eric
krabben
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by krabben »

I just bought one second hand in nearly new condition. I'll share my impressions once I get it on monday!
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

Jayhawk wrote:I play everything on mine. Although I primarily play trad, I also play a bit of ragtime, classical, and Christmas tunes (our band is working up a set for an upcoming holiday gig).

It's not as loud as a pratten based flute, but it's plenty loud enough for sessions. Our session routinely has 12-16 people, and it's fine in that setting. When our session, as it unfortunately does from time to time, grows to more than 20 players, well, you can't hear anyone on the far end of the oval we usually sit in, especially with the punters adding to the noise level cheering on the whatever sports event is onscreen.

I've said it many times, but I really like mine. You can't beat the price for a 6 keyed flute, and I like ebonite's tone and low maintenance requirements (e.g., basically none).

Eric
ditto, except i play trad and old hippy songs ;) ebonite is awesome, and the price can't be beat ;)

eric (also ; )
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/