Thinking of taking up flute, what would you recommend under?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Thinking of taking up flute, what would you recommend under?

Post by Sirchronique »

I have decided that in a few years ( or maybe longer!) I would like to eventually get a very nice 8-key flute, or, a set of uillean pipes, after I have progressed more with whistle and get to what I feel is an acceptable level of playing.

However, I am not sure which instrument I prefer more, and I will not be able to get both, as I plan to go "all out" and purchase an extremely high quality instrument of whichever one I choose, when the time comes.

Since that will be quite some time in the future, I was thinking it might be nice to get an affordable, but acceptable quality, flute , to see if flute is something that I can see myself getting along with enough to justify a large purchase. Or better yet, if I can get a good sounding and playing flute for -500usd price, and just keep it and get the pipes in the future, instead of a higher quality flute. That way I actually can play both!

I would really prefer if it was quite less than 500$, but I am trying to be realistic. I want something that I can be able to enjoy playing for the next few years, that isn't completely bunk quality. Is this possible, or is it really hard to get a flute for this price that is any good? I know virtually nothing about flutes, as I have always stuck to strings, and whistles.

Although I will want an 8 key if this is to become one of my primary instruments in the future (will at least want a low C and an F key) , I am completely fine with purchasing a keyless flute, for now, as that is what I am expecting to get for this price.

Is it possible to get a synthetic material flute for this price, which is as good as the wooden ones for this price? I would prefer for it to be lower maintainance , aside from cleaning. However, I am fine with wood too, if the sound is that much better. I am looking for whatever has the best sound, and most of all, ease of playing, in this price range, regardless of material.

I realise opinions are likely to vary widely on what is the best flute for under 500$, however, I am just wanting some help sorting out the worthy flutes from the garbage. Please tell me which ones you would recommend, and why, or if it is even possible to find what I am looking for in this price range. I'd really like something that is an easy player. I have steered clear of flutes until now, because I had a lot of difficulty with fifes, albeit these were VERY cheap ones.

I am just hoping to make a bit more of an informed decision on the matter. I love whistles and they will always be a primary instrument for me, however, it would be nice to have something else to play tunes on. When people hear me say that I play low whistle as a primary instrument, they are always saying to just get a flute.

Let me know what you think would be a good idea for that price.

Thanks!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Thinking of taking up flute, what would you recommend under?

Post by chas »

I've played most of the options out there in this range. I'd recommend a Copley delrin flute (with elliptical embouchure). It's easy to play, well in tune, and has a sound that will allow you to grow as a player while you're waiting for your keyed flute.

(fixed a typo)
Last edited by chas on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Copley or Forbes. You'll get decades of satisfaction from either one.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

You should check the search function as this question has been asked and answered many times.

In short the typical consensus for acceptable current Delrin/acetal resin flutes is (in alphabetic order): Copley, Forbes, Seery, Somers, Sweet (the new Shannon), Tipple. Most are in your price range. I have experience with the Copley, Seery, Somers and Tipple and each will give you plenty to work on while you decide on your ultimate direction. In wood the only simple system flute I would recommend in your price range is the Burns folk flute. It has great tone and is well made, but as a wooden flute will require more maintenance (especially if you are not playing it daily).

I would stay away from the inexpensive wooden or ebonite e-bay flutes (see this sticky and read carefully: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34685.

Your other option is to look for a used flute. Your best bet there is most likely to check the used instruments section of this site as many great flutes have changed hands there. There is currently a Jon C Pratten style being offered at a very attractive price: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=90510. In your shoes I'd jump on that one. There is also a DeKeyser: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=90477, which I know little about, but might be of interest if you are on that side of the pond, and an M&E viewtopic.php?f=35&t=90482, which I've had less good experiences with, but some swear by them.

Best of luck with your search.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
O'Mulriain

Post by O'Mulriain »

For the past couple of months I've been playing a non-tunable cylindrical bore flute, which has served its purpose but about a week ago I set an order for a Rob Forbes flute, which Blayne Chastain recommended to me. Delrin, tunable, conical bore, and only $450 for a flute that is praised by novices and professionals alike. Kevin Crawford plays a few tunes on the bottom of Rob's home page: http://www.forbesflutes.com/ As of yet I don't have any experience with this instrument, but those who do speak very highly of them.
You may want to consider getting a keyless wooden flute some time afterward before going all-out 8-keyed.
A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God. Ecclesiastes 2:24
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

chas wrote:I've played most of the options out there in this range. I'd recommend a Copley delrin flute (with elliptical embouchure). It's easy to pley, well in tune, and has a sound that will allow you to grow as a player while you're waiting for your keyed flute.
I second this recommendation: Great flutes, great price.
MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

Loren wrote:
chas wrote:I've played most of the options out there in this range. I'd recommend a Copley delrin flute (with elliptical embouchure). It's easy to pley, well in tune, and has a sound that will allow you to grow as a player while you're waiting for your keyed flute.
I second this recommendation: Great flutes, great price.
I third it. In fact, I would "swear" by my Copley delrin. I also know Dave Copley personally, and he is a great guy. I also second the recommendation for Forbes. I had the chance to play one for about 3 hours straight. I settled into it very quickly, and will agree that it is a great flute. Another thing to consider, if you want to try the pipes for not much money (but still good quality), take a look at David Daye's pipes.
Denny

Post by Denny »

he's such a joiner.....

yeah, fourth already

unless you have some need to have a Pratten instead. Rob Forbes
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I just got off work and I am feeling a bit like a zombie right now, so I will keep this response brief and follow up on it later.

I just wanted to say thank you for the responses, these are the exact types of replies I was hoping to get!

I would really like to get the Forbes. From what I can tell from the sound clips, it would seem it is WAY better than what I was expecting to be available at this price.

One problem with that though, the 4 month wait.

I am currently in the states, but in 4 months, I will likely be in Brazil. I dare not have an instrument shipped through their postal system. Not only is it unreliable ( packages go missing/stolen by postal workers, not to mention the postal system is currently on strike and not even operating fully where I will be staying :boggle: !) , but also, they have a very hefty import tax on any foreign-made things. I could raise my budget and likely get a better flute, perhaps sooner, for less than I'd be spending for that, after import tax.

Perhaps a used one will come up eventually. :puppyeyes:

Otherwise, I should probably look around at others that I can perhaps get sooner. Normally I would have no problem at all with any wait short of a year (for a flute of this low price range), however, due to these circumstances, I can't wait that long. If I am to get a flute, it needs to be while I am still in the states. I will look at other options, and also consider increasing my budget, if needed.
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Has anyone mentioned Doc Jones' Irish flute store? Always a good option if time is of the essence, as the OP states in the last post... Might be something interesting there.
Celticexile

Post by Celticexile »

[quote="Sirchronique"]
I am currently in the states, but in 4 months, I will likely be in Brazil.

I believe Garry Somers is Brazil based, and last seen his instruments were within your stated budget - give it a google! :)
O'Mulriain

Post by O'Mulriain »

At the Irish Flute Store you can get already-made unowned Garry Sommers 5 piece flutes:

Pratten: http://shop.irishflutestore.com/Garry-S ... el-5pc.htm

Rudall: http://shop.irishflutestore.com/Garry-S ... Rudall.htm

The store is linked too by at least a couple of (renowned) flutemakers who advice shopping there if you just can't wait.

I don't know much about Garry Somers, but a couple people above apparently have they can fill you in on some details perhaps, and you can always Google to see how people like them.

EDIT: And yes, I believe Somers is a "displaced Irishman in Brazil".
A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God. Ecclesiastes 2:24
oceanica

Post by oceanica »

Highly recommend a deldrin flute from Francois Baubet, got one about a month ago and it is a beaut. He has learned a lot from Chris Wilkes. Talk to Gordon Gower, he also has one. About $500 new shipped.
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

oceanica wrote:Highly recommend a deldrin flute from Francois Baubet, got one about a month ago and it is a beaut. He has learned a lot from Chris Wilkes. Talk to Gordon Gower, he also has one. About $500 new shipped.

Gordon is who I talked to about taking some skype lessons soon! I shall ask him!

However, I am thinking about to either buy a 6 or 8 key M& E in ebonite, I think. It seems it would fit all of my needs, and be a flute I can keep and play forever and is both good quality, has the keys I want, and is ebonite, which is also preferrable for me.

Before I came to this decision about getting the M&E, I did order a low D keyless flute from William Miller. They are bamboo, yet I have heard very good things about them, and they seem of a very high quality. You would never imagine that's what they are made of. Look them up if you haven't heard of them yet!

I will be getting my Billy Miller flute in the mail tomorrow.. Well, today actually! I am very excited! I am about to go to sleep so I can wake up tomorrow early and play it!

Aside from cheap fifes, I've never played a flute before. I got a cheap plastic yama "flucorder" and a metal 15$ fife from "the whistle shop" a looong time ago. I was never able to get a good sound out of them. Well, for the past week, in anticipation of a flute, I practiced with them all week, and I can actually play them now! I am sure with a real flute it will be much easier than those.

Quite excited!

Please do keep the suggestions coming though!

I would like to modify my price range though. I just got a bonus at work for a referral, so I can go up to 800$, but not any more than that. Also, keyed is also being sought now. I think I will be happy with the Billy Miller flute for a keyless. The only type of flute I want now is a keyed one, and only if it's one worthy of being kept and being my main flute for... well, the rest of my life, possibly! The M & E seems to be it though. I heard it and it sounds exactly like what I am after, as far as sound goes. The keys fulfill what i'm after as far as range goes, and from what I hear, the R&R model is easy to play.. oh, and it's ebonite, so as long as I take proper care of it, the maintainance should be low and I won't have to worry about it constantly. I can't imagine any flute being more ideal for my current needs. I think I'll see waht kind of deals I can find on one. Maybe I can find one for better price than I can find now.

I'm having all kinds of flutey excitement right now. I'm going to play some whistle soon, then sleep, and wake up and flute until it's time for work!

Feel free to keep this thread skootin'!

Thanks!
megapop

Post by megapop »

I think it's hard to find a decent keyed flute in that price range other than the M&E. Maybe a (probably not-so-decent) antique German anonymous flute, if any.
However, happy blowing with your Billy Miller!
return null;