CP ethnicwind.com now makes an Irish Flute!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
nickthepiedpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

CP ethnicwind.com now makes an Irish Flute!

Post by nickthepiedpiper »

We have just finished development of our new Irish Flute, and we are very excited at how it turned out.
http://www.ethnicwind.com/#!flutes/c1652
I'll try to get a sound clip up tomorrow
German Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: CP ethnicwind.com now makes an Irish Flute!

Post by German Whistler »

looks beautifull
i should learn to play the flute ;-)
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Interesting. What about a tour?

I'm a little dubious about the indentations for the thumbs - look to me as though they'd be in the wrong places for my hold, and perhaps unhelpful in that there is no single correct thumb location - depends on individual hand etc.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

jemtheflute wrote:I'm a little dubious about the indentations for the thumbs - look to me as though they'd be in the wrong places for my hold, and perhaps unhelpful in that there is no single correct thumb location - depends on individual hand etc.
Um, yes... just checked your site to discover that's what they're meant for and have to say I'd never have guessed because IMHO they're both unnecessary and in the wrong places. But afraid I don't like the wavy headjoint styling (space for some more thumbs?) or pointy foot either, so guess it's just not aimed at me...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
nickthepiedpiper
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

well since I hand make each one, I can make them without the indentations for the thumbs, or move the location of the indentations as needed quite easily. The angled end is purely aesthetics, so I can make it with a flat end just as easily, and same goes for the turnings on the mouthpiece... My goal was to create a flute that played like a traditional Irish flute, but had some new different features that you don't see on you everyday flute. So yeah, I know not everyone will like it as is, but it does play quite nicely.

I may do a flute tour, but probably not until next summer after Fipple Fest... I have a lot to work on for that.... hopefully I'll get some good flute players to try it out at the festival. I did have a number of flute players working with me on the design and testing it for me, so it has been field tested quite a bit by other players. There are many types of flutes. some prefer the smaller round hole to blow across, mine has the slightly wider style as you can see from the photos. Since I"m just getting into the Flute making, I will expand my line to include more models when I can. But I am very happy with the sound and playability of this design, and I like how it looks.
nickthepiedpiper

as promised... here's a song with this flute... a tiny bit of reverb at the beginning, but no effects at all on the rest of the song.

http://soundcloud.com/nickmetcalf/sweet-jiggity
MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

Interesting style. It looks like the walls are a little bit thin though. And the embouchure looks like it could use a bit of smoothing, but other than that, it look cool! Sounds fine as well :thumbsup:
nickthepiedpiper

the flute is pretty thick walled. it is made from CPVC, (not pvc) so it's not the same thin walled white PVC stuff that some people make their flutes out of. I have a Dixon inexpensive Irish flute, and it is much thinner walled than the one I make. the intonation on my flute is also adjustable to your own style of playing with the movable stopper with my own custom wedge design (with a nod to the Tipple/Fajardo wedge of course).
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

as promised... here's a song with this flute... a tiny bit of reverb at the beginning, but no effects at all on the rest of the song.

http://soundcloud.com/nickmetcalf/sweet-jiggity
If you want to sell them, I'd ask a more advanced flute player to make a sound clip...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
CordaTesa

Post by CordaTesa »

nickthepiedpiper wrote:the flute is pretty thick walled. it is made from CPVC, (not pvc) so it's not the same thin walled white PVC stuff that some people make their flutes out of. I have a Dixon inexpensive Irish flute, and it is much thinner walled than the one I make. the intonation on my flute is also adjustable to your own style of playing with the movable stopper with my own custom wedge design (with a nod to the Tipple/Fajardo wedge of course).
So it has a cylindrical bore with a pseudo-tapered headjoint, huh?
Tomsmythe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tomsmythe »

I just received my Irish Flute from Ethnicwind today and it is excellent. It plays and sounds like a dream.