Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sedi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

Post by Sedi »

Played this one a bit today -- it was just an experiment and I messed up one of the holes because I don't have the right tools for carbon. But I simply put some coatings of lacquer over it and it plays great. I like how I can feel the air vibrating, more so than on other flutes I made, probably because of the hardness of the carbon tube. It weighs just slightly over 120 grams. The head piece is of slightly thicker material -- the tube has 1mm, the head 1.5 which helps evening out the octaves. I don't think I will make another one from carbon but it was a nice experiment.
Heleendje
Tell us something.: Belgian - 36 - Irish enthusiast - flute n00b!!

Love Irish dancing, music, language, humour & pubs!
Last trip before the pandemic: Dublin!
Irish-ish "claim to fame": creating motion graphics and commercial trailers for Irish comedy trio/YouTubers Foil Arms & Hog
Cannot wait to finally walk the Wicklow Way <3

The online St Patrick's Day Festival 2021 made me fairly addicted to trad sessions!
Bought my first flute (David Angus!) after browsing this board, so thanks a mill :)

Post by Heleendje »

Hello everyone! My very first Irish flute just arrived and I couldn't be more thrilled! From David Angus, the wood is called Mozambican Newtonia and it looks gorgeous. And well-oiled. I added a pretty rosewood fife to my basket as well, why not! Included a maintenance guide which I will learn by heart.

Looking forward to learning about embouchure and getting some notes out. Just a few minutes at a time right?

Thanks to this board for leading me to David Angus's website!

rentspel
Tell us something.: I have been playing flute all my life and I am looking for people with the same interest to share ideas, experience and thoughts with. :)

Post by rentspel »

What an amazing thread! Thank you all for sharing!

When I get back home after the vacation I will share my own collection :)
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

It has been a while since posting on C&F, thought I would stop by and say "Hi"!
I have not did a Wooden flute build for nearly 12 years, mainly focusing my attention on repairs and restorations of the classics, R&R, Pratten's and Nicholson"s to name a few... Rubbing elbows with these long dead makers, I have been able to absorb a lot of their knowledge about flute making, so really never stopped making. It was nice to break out the reamers and get back into it, I had started a few flutes, so have some roughed out, which helps speed up the process.

This my latest flute build, it is based on a late model Rudall Carte flute that I own, I cut a "Wylde style" rounded oval embouchure with a 5.5mm deep chimney embouchure, makes for a deep rich tone, this also was quite popular with the American flute makers, that preferred deep chimneys on their embouchure cuts. In fact, I was working on a Firth, Hall and Pond, and it was almost an exact match to my embouchure, even though I saw it after the fact, maybe that was subconscious?
The boxwood is from England, rings are black water buffalo horn and sterling silver. A friend does glass fusing, gave me the glass used for the crown, I thought, "why not add some bling?"
I think, one of the best flutes I ever made, so lightweight with the unlined head joint, and responsive!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

beautiful flute jon !!! i also really like the other Boxwood flute you made.
shawnsheepy
Tell us something.: I've come to the forum to learn more about whistles and flutes - just a bit of an Irish trad music beginner :) I love seeing the little discussions here.

Post by shawnsheepy »

Here is my new flute - a wood-finished PVC flute by Critter Bear in the US! I haven't seen a lot of content regarding his flutes, but as a complete flute beginner I can say that this feels amazing! Really enjoying learning it, and only cost me around €48 (including shipping to Ireland)

Last edited by shawnsheepy on Fri May 13, 2022 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
just an ITM beginner :P
Jtmch
Tell us something.: I’m a beginning fiddle musician, with small forays into simple tunes on the mando. I have two cheap whistles and I’m always looking to expand my musical understanding. Furthermore I’m also very interested in learning more about, in general, flutes and especially the keyless variety. For now the keyless ones seem to be what interests me more, but the silver keys sure are pretty.

Post by Jtmch »

Took delivery of my first flute this last week and have been working on making flute noises. Eventually I’d love to acquire a nice flute, but can’t beat the price especially finding it used.

AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Jtmch wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:29 pm Took delivery of my first flute this last week and have been working on making flute noises. Eventually I’d love to acquire a nice flute, but can’t beat the price especially finding it used.

I was looking at getting one of those at some time in the future. How hard/easy is it to get the lowest notes? I have a silver boehm flute but I just can't get away with it.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Jtmch
Tell us something.: I’m a beginning fiddle musician, with small forays into simple tunes on the mando. I have two cheap whistles and I’m always looking to expand my musical understanding. Furthermore I’m also very interested in learning more about, in general, flutes and especially the keyless variety. For now the keyless ones seem to be what interests me more, but the silver keys sure are pretty.

Post by Jtmch »

@
AuLoS303 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:11 pm I was looking at getting one of those at some time in the future. How hard/easy is it to get the lowest notes? I have a silver boehm flute but I just can't get away with it.
I've still not playing it regularly, but I've signed up for some lessons with a local flutist to get some basics down. I've been able to do a basic scale on the flute though.

Just today I noticed a thread on thesession saying the embouchure hole is a bit wonky compared to regular flutes, but if you've got boehm flute playing down you'll likely be okay I'd think.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Jtmch wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:06 pm

but if you've got boehm flute playing down you'll likely be okay I'd think.
That's the thing, I haven't. I just can't get the embouchure to work for me. You're supposed to blow downwards for the lower notes and make a sort of frown with a relaxed embouchure,with slow warm air, but I just can't get it right. I can play down to E on a good day but D and C, forget it. Occasionally C will come but its very hit and miss. Its a shame, I love the sound of flute but it frustrates me so much. And I've no money for a teacher.
I've been told I might have leaky pads but if I fit a recorder head I can get all the notes easily.
Jtmch

Post by Jtmch »

AuLoS303 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:44 am That's the thing, I haven't. I just can't get the embouchure to work for me. You're supposed to blow downwards for the lower notes and make a sort of frown with a relaxed embouchure,with slow warm air, but I just can't get it right. I can play down to E on a good day but D and C, forget it. Occasionally C will come but its very hit and miss. Its a shame, I love the sound of flute but it frustrates me so much. And I've no money for a teacher.
I've been told I might have leaky pads but if I fit a recorder head I can get all the notes easily.
The way I figure it, the Dixon is likely "good enough" to get you going so you know you aren't fighting the instrument itself. At about that $100 range its one of the dixons or there is a guy named dough tipple who makes flutes and sells them on ebay. I'm sure there are a few others as well.

Discussion on the sessions -> https://thesession.org/discussions/47240#comment945491

Tipple flutes -> https://tippleflutes.com/ & on ebay
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Thanks Jtmch
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Post by Tradman »

My first and currently only flute. I'm on some lists though, and I'm looking forward to expanding the collection. This one is lovely and light, but has taken me to the woodshed.
https://i.postimg.cc/3RgcgGnm/CA0-F3-ED ... 47-EEB.jpg
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

Tradman wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:21 pm ... but has taken me to the woodshed.
Because it came without toneholes ?

;-)

Lovely looking flute though.
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Post by Tradman »

Hi Greenwood! No, it has them- all 6 :-) I did not realize that the image seemed to make them so incredibly hard to see. And although it's been a woodshed, it's getting better daily. There were a few months where when I put it to my mouth I may or may not have a clean tone. Now, that seems to be no longer an issue. I have another flute on the way and I may be going back to the woodshed haha.

Eric