Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Re: Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

Post by cavefish »

Thompson D delrin,, big flute

Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
flyingparchment
Tell us something.: i have an unhealthy obsession with flutes and thought i should try to find some other people to share my problems with! (i play a TJ Boehm-system flute and an M&E 6-key simple system flute i've just acquired, hence the interest in C&F.)

Post by flyingparchment »

Tony Millyard R&R-style 8 key flute in D.

i just got this back today after sending it off to have the keys added, so far i couldn't be happier.

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Looks lovely! The foot is very "boehm-like". Nice.
thea_4
Tell us something.: bitten by the folk bug and trying to shake my "classical" music habits
lets say it again for the algorithm -
bitten by the folk bug and trying to shake my "classical" music habits

Post by thea_4 »

Hello to all!
A few days ago I recieved two lovely flutes from Tony Millyard to try! Because I was a little confused about the Pratten/Rudall&Rose differences, he was so nice to send me one of each in mopane in my preferred configuration (L3 offset and slight modification for smaller hands).
I come from a ~20 year boehm flute background and Im so unbelievably happy to transition to the irish flute :love:!
Im a beginner again, but while learning my first tunes I really noticed how different the two flute styles are. They both sound absolutely amazing. Im of course keeping one... but which one?? I already love them both. "The one" is going to get 6 keys from Tony and I honestly cant wait!
I thought it might be nice to have some pictures of both - hence my post :)
The colour of the wood is most accurate on the first picture, a warm brown but not red.
(The left one with the longer endcap is the RR, the right one the Pratten style)

and lastly the Pratten again on its bautiful flute case that Tony provides...

I hope youre all well during these times and Im looking forward to beeing a part of the irish flute community!
All the best
Thea
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right.”― Henry Ford
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

oh yea millyards great have one of his F flutes ,, Great sound , very warm F ,
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
FluterColin
Tell us something.: Here's a sentence talking about playing the whistle, and other various Irishy sorts of instruments. Here's another sentence talking about playing Irish flute!

Post by FluterColin »

6 key in mopane and brass from Jay Ham

Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Thomas Aebi 8-key in Cocus. Bought this secondhand so I'm not sure how old it is, maybe 12-15 years? My one and only for the last year and a half. Second photo is in a custom Northwind case.

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

This is the latest version of my alloy flute. Plays easily, has a bombastic sound and is very lightweight at 180 grams. I play it every day.
Damien Rogeau
Tell us something.: Hi. I'm Damien and I play the flute (Irish, Boehm, tin and low whistle). I'm also a piano player and more recently guitar and bagpipe player. Also I'm not a spam robot :)

Post by Damien Rogeau »

My Mopane 6 keyed flute made by Éric Juilleret
My Barna Gabos Eb bamboo flute
Tin whistle (2013) : Tweaked Generation Bb, Tweaked Thomann C, Le Coant D, Löfgren D/C
Low whistle (2013) : MK pro low D, Clover whistles A/G/F, PVC A/A phrygian dominant
Irish flute (2014) : B.Gabos bamboo Eb, 6 keyed É.Juilleret

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/damien-rogeau-defrance/tracks
flyingparchment
Tell us something.: i have an unhealthy obsession with flutes and thought i should try to find some other people to share my problems with! (i play a TJ Boehm-system flute and an M&E 6-key simple system flute i've just acquired, hence the interest in C&F.)

something a bit different: Rudall Carte cocuswood 1867 system flute.

i've been on the fence about trying one of these for ages and finally decided to give it a go, so i picked this one up earlier this week. it'll never replace my 8-key flute, but i like the cylindical flute sound for some music, and so far i think it's a great system - way better than the Boehm system. F# and C# are like simple system, Fnat is easier (and it has a short F if you want it), B-flat is like the Boehm system and the open D makes some fingerings a lot easier.

the only thing i'm not fond of is the wood, it looks kind of brown and drab... i wish they'd made them out of mopane!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Embouchure looks pretty rough, though. How's it play?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
flyingparchment

i noticed the far edge of the embouchure hole was a bit rough but so far it seems fine. i haven't tried the third octave (wouldn't know how!) but the first two octaves are good, it has a strong Boehm-like tone, rich in the first octave and with a bit of a reedy colour in the second. the second octave E can be a bit weak but that's probably my fault rather than the flute, i'm still getting used to how it plays and i'm not a great Boehm player to start with.

it came with a bit of cork shim under the high D hole to hold it closed, which i guess a previous owner had installed to make the open note C# rather than D (you can see the key is closed in the photo)... unfortunately after removing that i found the key is slightly loose in what Carte calls the B# fingering (but is definitely going to be the C fingering for me) so it's going to the shop tomorrow to see about fixing that.

edit: also it's not very clear in the photo but there's a repaired crack in the headjoint going from the barrel to under the lip plate... i'm not sure if that would affect the sound at all. the lip plate itself is fine apart from the rough edge, and the headjoint is fully lined, so i guess the crack shouldn't have much effect.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

I've been on about my Tony Dixon Trad piccolo a lot lately. Though it's not a flute, per se, it is sideblown. I haven't played it yet, but will soon. My research on flutes taught me about lip plates; it looks as if my piccolo might have one molded into its head? I'll post pictures taken with benefit of daylight if desired.

AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Some beautiful flutes in here! I love the old style salt spoon keys.
And Sedi, that homemade flute looks great. I wish I had the tools and inclination to make one.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
RudallCarte6950
Tell us something.: Own and play RC 6950, made around 1888 and Boosey Pratten 14901 ( 1890 ). After three decades I am still devoted to the flute and Irish traditional music on the flute.

Post by RudallCarte6950 »

My Boosey Pratten

https://www.dropbox.com/s/npf0fl4v3ldb0 ... 5.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpdd8eydhul1c ... 6.jpg?dl=0

I bought this second hand in Oct 2020.
I have been enjoying this flute. I find it easy to fill, and better than my RudallCarte and Co. which I had for 15 years or so.
( My daughter now plays that ).

Was a bit of a gamble buying a late Pratten ( circa 1892-5 ) sight unseen, but the tuning is actually really good.
Just the C# is flat, but comes up perfectly with the C-Nat key.

This Pratten has two different wood colours, ( like one I saw up-thread ).
It's a "low-end" Pratten apparently with Nickel Silver keys ( which I have padded with silicone ).

Really if this was the low end, I'd love to try one of their more swish jobs.
Sorry about the tape on the tenons, but it works.

I made the case so as not to have to extend / collapse the slide all the time, and there was no key for the original.
Pat