Shannon flute by WD Sweet reviews

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Shannon flute by WD Sweet reviews

Post by eedbjp »

I did some research and only found a couple reviews on the Shannon polymer flute by WD Sweet . Anyone enjoying this flute?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Shannon flute by WD Sweet reviews

Post by Jayhawk »

I really like mine. I put it up there with Copley's delrin...and basically any other delrin flute out there (and I've played all but Gary Sommers and the Forbes). Nicely made, good volume, you can honk like Conal O'Grada (provided you can play that way). Julia Delaney has one for sale in the sale forum...and says nice things about it.

Do you have specific questions? I'd be happy to answer. I'm the Eric from KC on his website.

Best bang for the buck out there, period, IMHO.

Eric
MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

Are there any sound clips of it? I've been wanting to hear it for a while, but I can't find any clips anywhere online, and no one around here has one. :(
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'll try and remember to record a clip tonight when my wife and I are practicing...provided I have AAA batteries around the house. I think the last time I brought out our cheap sony voice recorder, the batteries were dead.

You might also be able to hear a bit in the clip at our band's website: http://fraochband.com/music

Looks like Jeff has been messing around with the site again...there were better clips where you could hear the flute more. I can't listen to clips on the old work computer, but on my phone with it's poor speaker I think you can hear the flute a bit. By the date of the clip, I think that was recorded at our house a few weeks back and unfortunately Jeff's recorder was too close to the fiddle.

Eric
megapop

Post by megapop »

This might help you:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88791
return null;
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

OK, sorry but my wife didn't feel up to practicing tonight (she practiced much of the day while I was at work), so you get these without guitar accompaniment. In addition, you're not getting what I've been playing much recently but a few tunes that show the flute in different lights (slow vs. fast, jig, reel and even a Scottish tune I recently learned):

https://www.box.com/s/cgy4ij3vkykfm2ibiucv
https://www.box.com/s/70hgj5i2u2vk9i1u6xnl
https://www.box.com/shared/utci9z2pca
https://www.box.com/s/mfyx4rfdo1m8b8fu3jiq

Hopefully those work OK...let me know if you can't access them. Also, I hope there are no odd pops...when I uploaded in the past I'd get artifacts (I assume from the upload process) that were not on the recording when listened to on my computer.

Eric
ghicken
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ghicken »

Walt's SHANNON was my choice of first simple system flute after making a PVC flute to decide whether or not to switch from a Boehm-style flute. I find the SHANNON easy to get a strong low D as well as play into the third octave after making the adjustments in my embouchure. I don't have the years that more on here have playing but I've been playing stringed instruments for years. Just like a good stringed instrument, any problems in my playing is me and not the flute. You can't beat the price.
Gary