Who makes a Pratten style Delrin?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Who makes a Pratten style Delrin?

Post by eedbjp »

Does Seery still make them? I think Forbes, Copley, and are there more?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Re: Who makes a Pratten style Delrin?

Post by tomcat »

MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

eedbjp wrote:I think Forbes, Copley
I'm pretty sure Copley does not make a Pratten. I don't remember exactly what he makes, I think it had Hawkes in the name somewhere, but I'm fairly positive he does not make a Pratten. Although, if you special order it, he might craft one for you. Forbes, Somers, and Seery do make Pratten flutes, but I don't think Seery is still making. I do believe that Jon Cornia made Cochran delrin Pratten flutes (Rudall style as well), but I've heard mixed on whether or not he's still making either. I can't think of any other Pratten flute makers that actively use delrin.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

John Gallagher makes a Pratten delrin.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MeMyselfandI wrote:I'm pretty sure Copley does not make a Pratten. I don't remember exactly what he makes, I think it had Hawkes in the name somewhere, but I'm fairly positive he does not make a Pratten.
Copley makes Copleys! It's one of the (many) things I like about them...
copleyflutes.com wrote:Our instruments are tapered bore "simple system" flutes based on originals made in England during the 1800's, with the greatest influence being the flutes made by Hawkes and Son of London. The design has been adapted to give the characteristics sought after by players Irish Traditional Music.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

and there is a Hammy 2nd hand in delrin just few topics below......
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Delrin Prattens most readily available and least expensive:

Forbes

Seery (I don't think he's making flutes but has some in stock and you can find them used)

Sommers

Other makers:

McGee (not taking orders at the moment)

Gallagher

Hammy hardly ever works in delrin.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

The Ralph Sweet "Shannon" seems to be getting good reviews. Does it fall into the category of polymer flutes with a strong low d? Also does M and E still only make the smaller bore flute that has been around for a while?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

eedbjp wrote:The Ralph Sweet "Shannon" seems to be getting good reviews. Does it fall into the category of polymer flutes with a strong low d? Also does M and E still only make the smaller bore flute that has been around for a while?
The M&E is definitely more of the Rudall style. The Shannon is a hybrid but definitely not a Pratten style.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The Shannon, by Walt Sweet BTW, definitely has a honking low D. It's his own design, but leans more towards the Pratten-ish side than the the Rudall-ish side. It is not a quiet flute by an means (in a good way). I think Walt is seriously undercharging for this flute...best bang for the buck out there IMHO.

The M&E is Rudall based, but the bore is much larger than his old style model. I find the low D quite strong if you know how to hit it.

Eric
csoroz
Tell us something.: Inventory:
Pat Olwell Pratten keyless in D blackwood
Eamonn Cotter 6-key in D blackwood
M&E 6-key in D ebonite
Gilles Lehart keyless in Bb blackwood
Sam Murray keyless in D blackwood (2016)

Post by csoroz »

monkeymonk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by monkeymonk »

I cannot speak highly enough for Forbes Flutes.
They are:
Easy to play (maybe has something to do with the squared off embouchure).
Lovely tone
fantastically in tune
loud when you want it
the body is somehow thinner than a Hamilton or an Olwell and that makes it easy to hold.
the integral delrin slide keeps the weight on the head joint to a minimm.

I did a ton of research before choosing a delrin flute. I picked the forbes for all the above reasons and i wasn't disapointed.

I have never played an M&E delrin but i have an M&E ebonite keyless. It's a beautiful sounding flute with a nice growly low D but it will never be as loud as my Forbes or my Hamilton. It's also a heavy flute.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

csoroz wrote:How about these Polymer M&E flutes?
monkeymonk wrote:I have never played an M&E delrin but i have an M&E ebonite keyless. It's a beautiful sounding flute with a nice growly low D but it will never be as loud as my Forbes or my Hamilton. It's also a heavy flute.
Two things. M&E does not make a delrin flute. Michael works with ABS(I think?) and ebonite but not delrin or acetal.

I have three M&E polymer flutes. Two originals - one keyless and one keyed. The third is the Rudall model. They are decent flutes for the money. But they are not what the OP is looking for.

But they are neither a Prattens design and they are not delrin.

I'd go Forbes, Gallagher or Seery if looking for the Pratten type flute.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

monkeymonk wrote:I cannot speak highly enough for Forbes Flutes.The body is somehow thinner than a Hamilton or an Olwell and that makes it easy to hold.
You are very correct about that. Both Forbes and Somers make thin-walled flutes. That by nature makes them a little... not sure how to put it... maybe "buzzier"? Most of the time there is a bit more air sound in thinner walled flutes than thicker. But never the less, Forbes' are phenomenal flutes. I borrowed one from another flute player at the local session, played it through the whole session, and loved it. If it wasn't for the fact that Forbes cost $100 more than Copleys, I probably would've gone with Forbes!
monkeymonk wrote:It's also a heavy flute.

I find nothing to be wrong with heavy flutes. My Copley is rather heavy, but I find that weight to be in a way satisfying. Even if it means my shoulder hurts a bit after a long session. I think it's a good sacrifice. Plus, thicker walls seem to give it a slightly more full and rich tone than thinner walls. But a good maker can get around that (Forbes for example). As I mentioned earlier, I prefer a slightly heavy flute partly because it seems to send that psychological message that says I have something truly awesome in my hands. I find thin-walled flutes don't have that as much, especially PVC flutes. It's really just a question of preference though. Either way, I agree strongly; Forbes flutes are whoppers! :D
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

MeMyselfandI wrote: I find nothing to be wrong with heavy flutes. My Copley is rather heavy, but I find that weight to be in a way satisfying. Even if it means my shoulder hurts a bit after a long session.
If the difference in weight between a wooden flute and a delrin flute makes your shoulder hurt, it's probably time to hit the gym :poke: :wink: