FT: Reviol Two Piece Cast Bore

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

FT: Reviol Two Piece Cast Bore

Post by eedbjp »

I have a Reviol 2 piece cast bore and am looking to trade for a Casey Burns Folk Flute or Pratten style Polymer or Delrin flute

photos of the flute

http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... l%20Flute/

Reviol Website

http://www.reviol.co.nz/HTML/CastBoreFl ... nstruments
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
Viking of Kiev
Tell us something.: The nick is outdated, I'd been living in Kiev for 13 years but now I am located in St.Petersburg, Russia.

Re: FT: Reviol Two Piece Cast Bore

Post by Viking of Kiev »

Does this resin covering affect the sound? What is the general impression of this flute?
Maurice Reviol seems to me a solid maker but though this innovation is unusual and somewhat strange.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

My understanding is that you have to send private messages for buying/ trading posts questions. Maybe you could start a Reviol thread?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nope, perfectly fine to discuss openly, if you wish, in threads you've started that are not in the Used Instruments Exchange forum. The usual play nice, no pricing police, etc. behavior applies. However, no problem if you prefer/request discussion by PM or email.

For your entries in the Exchange, other posters are not allowed (and will usually be deleted by a moderator), but you can post to provide additional info, photos, price changes, reminder bumps, and if sales/trades are pending or item is sold or withdrawn.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I thought that prohibition was only for threads in the for sale/trade section...anything here was fair game. Maybe the mods will correct me, but the question is about the the instrument and seems like others interested in buying might want to know it as well.

Eric
eedbjp

Post by eedbjp »

A couple of things about the Reviol I like is that I find it easy to play. Also, it is easy to care of due to the bore being synthetic. I have a friend who won an All Ireland contest, a player who has tried a lot of flutes, and he loved the responsiveness, saying it was one of the nicest flutes he tried. Two or three other players have tried it and all liked it.

I can't really say how the synthetic core influences the playability, though, because I don't really know the physics of it.

The reason that I was looking to trade is that I wanted a larger bore, such as a Forbes Pratten style, because I go to some big sessions and am looking for a flute I can really work on breathing and a full low Plus, I tend to change flutes very two or three years because it is fun to try new ones and it tends to revitalize my practice schedule when I get a new flute.