Olwell D boxwood - keyless no slide on E-bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Olwell D boxwood - keyless no slide on E-bay

Post by Steampacket »

Patrick Olwell copy of Chris Norman's 1836 Rudall & Rose Classical flute, natural European Boxwood, key-less D version, 1995. Flute's in Kyoto.

4 days left to go
Item number: 200733231075
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws-Patrick-Olwe ... 1367wt_881
fiddleflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Olwell D boxwood - keyless no slide on E-bay

Post by fiddleflute »

I am just astonished that the Olwell has not been sold
Any ideas why? Is it because of the lack of a tuning slide or thats this a keyless?
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

That's because he said that low D doesn't bark, and also the youtube video is not good, too much sound effects added, it seems like he wants to cover a not so brilliant playing.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
fiddleflute

Post by fiddleflute »

I think you're right, but he also said that he is only able to fill the flute half and because of this I think the flute can not bark on D...
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

Wow, harsh.

I bought a flute from one of his other auctions, very very good. He explains how he can't play flutes like these anymore. He's not trying to cover anything up.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

fiddleflute wrote:I am just astonished that the Olwell has not been sold
Any ideas why? Is it because of the lack of a tuning slide or thats this a keyless?
There were bids, so a few people definitely wanted it, but they did not reach the Seller's Reserve price. If the reserve was lower, it might have sold this time around. I don't know what the current price is for a similar model, but from an older Olwell price list this already received a premium for immediate availability. However, what do I know? It's been re-listed at a $3,000 Buy It Now (with Best Offer solicited)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200739294636

Also, the flute is in Japan, with an additional $60 for shipping, so the location could be a factor limiting interest.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Could be the recession is affecting the sale of modern flutes now? I doubt it will sell at that price, 3000 USD when a new Olwell keyless with slide goes for 14/1500 USD and maybe a year wait. The only keyless flutes I know of that have sold for 3000 USD have been Wilkes' with tuning slides, as they are seemingly as rare as hens teeth :)
I'm sure it's a fine flute though, but you have to be a bit realistic as regards pricing, especially these days.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Right. the seller wants too much money. I believe the new price for an Olwell boxwood nicholson sans
tuning slide is about 900. Not so clear that you can actually use the seller's flute for ITM.
fiddleflute

Post by fiddleflute »

Hi there,
my pricelist from Olwell dated March 2011 says
Keyless 3-Section, All Wood Flute (no tuning slide or silver rings) $ 950
Boxwood add 100 $
A new one must be 1050$ unless the price for a 4-section keyless is a little bit higher. The current waiting period for a keyless flute is aboust 1 year from receipt of deposit...
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

It is an extremely beautiful flute, but would not the fact that it was built as a prototype tend to drive interest down a little too? Or is that style flute now in the "Olwell catalogue." Just wondering. And while I'm wondering did I really read the words "Wilkes" "keyless" "tuning slide" and "$3000" in one sentence? What if, hypothetically, "boxwood" was inserted into that description?
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I find the words blackwood or cocuswood more attrractive that boxwood...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

Oops. Didn't mean to start a tone woods discussion. I know opinions on this vary considerably and sometimes quite emphatically. I like blackwood too and think cocus is beautiful, but fear my allergies might object to me touching it too much. Its just that the only Wilkes I've ever seen is made of boxwood.....In fact, I'm going to go play it now. :D
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

fiddleflute wrote:Hi there,
my pricelist from Olwell dated March 2011 says
Keyless 3-Section, All Wood Flute (no tuning slide or silver rings) $ 950
Boxwood add 100 $
A new one must be 1050$ unless the price for a 4-section keyless is a little bit higher. The current waiting period for a keyless flute is aboust 1 year from receipt of deposit...
Thank you. I bought a used slideless boxwood Olwell several years ago for 800, and I was triangulating upward but
not far enough.
I believe these flutes have not been terribly in demand. I sold the flute for the price I paid. It was soon sold
again on the board, after a long wait, for 900, as I recall. This was a Nicholson, which is of course
OK for ITM. It is less likely that the seller's flute is suited to ITM.
I don't think the seller's flute will sell quickly for more than the price of a new Nicholson
model. Also the wait is not prohibitive.

The justifiable magic of the 'Olwell' name doesn't extend so far as to cover this flute, IMO.
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

I've heard from a few different sources that Patrick doesn't really care for people reselling his flutes at a steep markup. I believe I've also heard that when people do this, and he finds out about it (and he does), he will no longer do business with that individual.

So kudos to you, Jim, for selling the flute for the price you paid for it. I think that recently, someone sold a boxwood Olwell at an extremely inflated price, which is disappointing. If you're really after an Olwell, do yourself, and Mr. Olwell, a favor and order directly from the man himself. Besides, waiting builds character, or something.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thank you. Certainly I believe that buying a flute directly from Patrick and selling it quickly for a higher price
can have serious repercussions for further business with The Maestro.

Of course the seller isn't doing anything like that. I expect he is chiefly being unrealistic.