About that head cork. . .

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

About that head cork. . .

Post by Cubitt »

Subsequent to a discussion I was engaged in recently on head-cork positioning, I got to wondering about the cork itself. On a Boehm flute, the surface of the cork facing the embouchure is covered with brass. Does bare cork provide an appropriate accoustical surface against which the air should vibrate? Is this something to be concerned about? Especially in a flute with a lined head? Tell me what you think, and if you make flutes, tell me what you know. Thanks.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Kirk B
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: About that head cork. . .

Post by Kirk B »

Cubitt wrote:Subsequent to a discussion I was engaged in recently on head-cork positioning, I got to wondering about the cork itself. On a Boehm flute, the surface of the cork facing the embouchure is covered with brass. Does bare cork provide an appropriate accoustical surface against which the air should vibrate? Is this something to be concerned about? Especially in a flute with a lined head? Tell me what you think, and if you make flutes, tell me what you know. Thanks.
Not only are Boehm stoppers faced with metal but they're also concave in shape creating somewhat of a bullet shape in the interior of the head joint. I have no idea what this accomplishes from a scientific standpoint though.

Kirk
Denny

Post by Denny »

put down the shovel and back slowly away from the hole...

yer gettin' inta some dark arts now...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Here's my two cents. Buy a box of corks (or a case of wine), and do your own comparisons. We'll wait for your results. Enjoy the wine.

Been there, done that, have opinions that don't really matter as a result.

feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I'm with Denny on this one. . . and Feadoggie too. . . .I'm still looking around for my grimoire. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Isn't the stopper parabolic on a Boehm?

[pauses to check]

Ah, I remembered correctly:
Major innovations were the change to metal instead of wood, large straight tube bore, "parabolic" tapered headjoint bore...wiki
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

s1m0n wrote:Isn't the stopper parabolic on a Boehm?

[pauses to check]

Ah, I remembered correctly:
Major innovations were the change to metal instead of wood, large straight tube bore, "parabolic" tapered headjoint bore...wiki
Ah, that's about the BORE. Not the stopper face. FWIW, so far as I know the standard Bohm stopper has a flat metal disc face-plate. People have experimented with assortedly distorted and pierced ones, and you can acquire such, but the norm is flat. On antique cylinder headed flutes I have seen and played bare cork, wood (either a wooden face-plate or a solid wood stopper lapped with thin cork) and metal faced. Can't say as I notice any sound-production differences.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

jemtheflute wrote:Ah, that's about the BORE. Not the stopper face.
Where are you locating the parabola if it doesn't include the stopper face? On the side walls alone? A parabola is U* shaped. If the stopper is excluded, the headjoint's profile has to be something like this ()* to be parabolic.

*diagram is as close as ascii allows. Rotate both by 90 degrees.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

While Jem and Sim0n attempt to get their parabolics sorted out....

In the wilds of Dear Old Ireland, it is not uncommon to find a metal facing on corks, the employment of which was traditionally aided by the convenient sizing of the old Irish 10P coin. I had one on an antique of mine that was sent to England for repair, where the Royalists rudely replaced it with a plain disc of silver. Philistines.

Rob
Denny

Post by Denny »

da nerve!!

I've never seen one that wasn't flat.

Not that I get out much

or take the stopper out of every flute I see
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Carte-on-Bo ... patent.htm

I think that the description of parabola is just to differentiate it from a straight taper.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

When is a parabola NOT a parabola? When it's defined by Boehm.

See http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Carte-on-Bo ... patent.htm

The section entitled "Issue No. 2 - the Parabola". Read the description, Terry McGee's explanation, and view his sketch as to the profile (see the previous post, as I was editing), which is really conical, with a flat-faced stopper (cork)

Kevin Krell.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I don't believe it is quite conical either, but has a slight curve to it. I believe that his design was based on empirical evidence.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

s1m0n wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:Ah, that's about the BORE. Not the stopper face.
Where are you locating the parabola if it doesn't include the stopper face? On the side walls alone? A parabola is U* shaped. If the stopper is excluded, the headjoint's profile has to be something like this ()* to be parabolic.

*diagram is as close as ascii allows. Rotate both by 90 degrees.
No. Just no. It's pretty well known and has been well discussed historically that 'parabolic' is something of a misnomer when it comes to Bohm heads. I'm on my mobile so can't find and link references for you (either Terry's or Rick W's websites, I think), but there's plenty out there about that topic - and I don't want to divert too far from the OP topic. Bohm himself didn't call his head design 'parabolic' as such. Anyway, inspect the nearest Bohm head and you'll see. Besides, having a convex stopper face wouldn't in itself get you a true parabola.

Ah, cross posting here - I see others have done what I could not. In effect the Bohm curve approximates to a segment of a parabola. And his own stopper faces were flat.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Rob Sharer wrote:While Jem and Sim0n attempt to get their parabolics sorted out....
Interesting turn of phrase. :)
Rob Sharer wrote:In the wilds of Dear Old Ireland, it is not uncommon to find a metal facing on corks, the employment of which was traditionally aided by the convenient sizing of the old Irish 10P coin.
It was fashionable to use a dime here in the US back in the seventies as I recall. But you all probably knew that already. I vaguely recall a guitar pick being used in that manner as well.
Denny wrote:I've never seen one that wasn't flat.
I've had two plugs in Boehms that were rather concave as Kirk B suggested. I don't know if that was how they were made or if they were customized by over zealous tuning or swabbing of the flutes though. I did not buy those flutes new. All others have been flat.

I have read once where making the face concave has some acoustic advantages. Can't remember where though. When I bought my box of corks I did do a bit of that to test it but my results were not worth relating. A couple good whistle makers have used a concave plug face as I have noticed. But that proves little in my thinking since the upstream area of the flute is quite different than on a whistle.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.